Author Topic: After factory restore, only XFS filesystem available  (Read 1250 times)

danielkun

• Calf
After factory restore, only XFS filesystem available
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:45:27 AM »

Hello,

I recently purchased a WVL but before putting it to use I let it run for a month, playing around with the settings.

A few days ago I was informed that a new firmware was release. Before updating I decided to do a "factory restore" which took about 30 hours. (I deeply regret doing this!) I thought it would do a quick format and restore the original directory structure/settings. Instead it did 4 "0/1 fills", reformatted the drive as XFS (It was EXT3 before) and didn't even restore the "share" directory.

Now I'm wondering:

- Why wasn't the "share" directory created? Is there any button I've missed that restores this directory or should I create it myself? (Because this directory doesn't exist I have to configure every extension that depends on it to use a different one)

- Why can't I format my drives as EXT3 as they were when I opened the box? The manual clearly explans that I can use up to 5 different filesystems but the NAS only has XFS in the format option now.

Thanks!

Daniel

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: After factory restore, only XFS filesystem available
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:37 AM »
The unit is XFS by default, the format for the HDD cannot be changed. I think you are getting confused. You can format a USB HDD attached to the Linkstation to XFS/EXT3/FAT but not the internal HDD's. Also you probably did a disk erase, not a factory reset (this is why it toke hours) You will need to recreate the Shared folders in the Shared Folders tab.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

danielkun

• Calf
Re: After factory restore, only XFS filesystem available
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll try as soon as I get home.