Author Topic: WHR-HP-GN. Can connect via Ethernet (wired), but cannot wirelessly, at least consistently.  (Read 2994 times)

trigger

• Calf

I just bought this piece of hardware, upgrading from a D-Link wireless-G router, since I want N connectivity, especially for AirTunes/iTunes. I got it, and I'm able to plug it into my MacBook, connect to 192.168.11.1, and get to the internet. The trouble is with connecting via wireless.

With the old router, we had a custom SSID set, and WEP. I grabbed the old keys of 611B2F9C05 and AD397DA53E and plugged them into WEP64 Hex (are those hex?), since they were 10 characters long and that was the only length that matched the options. Plus, we have a number of devices (video game systems, wireless printers) that used that SSID and keys, and we wanted to keep it that way, and not have to go through wireless configurations on a number of devices.

So, I can see my SSID in my Airport utility, and it prompted me to plug in a key, and it didn't error out. I was able to use it for the night, but came back the next day and I couldn't connect to the internet via that connection. I could see myself as being successfully connected to the SSID, but couldn't get to a webpage, or 192.168.11.1.

Now, I'm just trying to get this forum post together, and all morning I can connect through the wired, but not wireless connection, and I just unplugged it again to see if I could at least ping 192.168.11.1, and its working like it was when i first set it up! Are there any tips to keep the wireless up and running? I would like to have a consistent connection, especially for streaming music from my MacBook to my Airport Express, and online gaming.

I have all lights lit up on the front, the security light is the only red one, and the rest are green. I didn't touch many of the settings, I think the only thing I did was turn on WDS. But the channel is auto, 20MHz.

artl

• Calf

My Stuff:  WHR-HP-G300N  FIRMWARE 5/28/2010
2 CABLED DESKTOPS.  WIRELESS = DELL B130 USING A DLINK DWA-130C CLASS N ADAPTER VIA USB ABOUT 20 FEET FROM RTR.  OS XP SP3 ISP= TAMPABAY RR CABLE.

I have a similar problem.  The router drops the internet connection for the wireless users.  While the wireless is dropped, the wired work fine.

This occurs every 20 to 30 minutes.  While it is disconnected you get  Cannot find server, server taking too long, or Firefox just sits with the circle in the tab spinning.  It stays disconnected for about 10 to 20 minutes.

I just switched router switch to on from auto, and  problem remains.

6 months ago I tried 3 different N routers, a linksys, a netgear and a trendnet.  They all did this same exact thing.

artl

• Calf

More information.  I use Utorrent , a bit torent client.   It has the capability to show an upload download graph.  I set two wired desktops into upload mode.  I did the same thing for the wireless laptop.  All 3 computers have the same maximum upload  limit.  All 3 computers had no other appps running.  I watched the laptop and the upload graph looked pretty much like a sine wave curve with the peaks a lows repeating at about 3 minutes.  The maximums were the limit and the lows were 0.   The wired devices had the same 3 minute cycles but the the lows were only 50% of the limit.

Even just uploading there is some downloading going on and the download speed graph had the same sine wave look.  Highs and lows were occurring at the same time as the uploads.  One of the wired devices ihas 4 processors.  So what I think is happening is the has some kind of overloding going on and when things are tight it services the wired devices  with more priority then the wireless.  Which leave notime for the wireless and thus no internet connection.  I am thinking of buying a 30ft lan cable and driving the wife crazy.

artl

• Calf

Thinking about this, there is another device involved  an ARRIS TM402G/110 modem.  Does telephone and internet..

artl

• Calf

Modem could  not be the cause, it would affect the wired ones equally.  Doesn't the technical people at any router maker know anything?

artl

• Calf

While the router is not talking to the wireless connections, Cannot even ping 192.168.11.1.  Thing does not respond.:robotsad:

artl

• Calf

:smileyvery-happy: ISP replaced modem all is well.  Had a phone problem, tech used diagnostics on modem and saw that it was dropping stuff.  Think what was happening was that the router was not getting enough from the modem to keep up with the wired and wireless connections.  Beliieve that router prioritizes wired over wireless and router did not have any time for wireless.  Modem would correct itself for a while and all would be good unitl modem started acting up.  Since modem replaced 8 days ago have not had any problems.:smileyvery-happy::robotvery-happy: