Author Topic: New Alpha Firmware (17135) Breaks Wireless? -- WHR-HP-GN  (Read 2251 times)

Rynn

• Calf
New Alpha Firmware (17135) Breaks Wireless? -- WHR-HP-GN
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »

I checked the downloads section today, and saw that there was a new alpha firmware release, version 17135.

So naturally, I downloaded and updated my router using the web interface, as per the instructions.

Much to my dismay, none of my wireless devices were able to connect to my wireless network after the upgrade.

My devices include a pc running Windows XP, a laptop running Fedora 15, a Brother wireless printer, and my Nook (1st gen).

I noticed that prior to the upgrade, the Security LED (the padlock one) was never lit, even though my network was secured using WPA2-AES.

Afterward, it was lit, and nothing was able to connect.

I double checked all my settings, just to make sure nothing had changed.

I ended up restoring the original firmware (14998) which immediately fixed the problem, without changing any settings.

I did not try disabling WPA2, so it's possible that it's an error involving how it handles wireless security, and not the wireless itself.

Has anyone else had this problem? Hopefully this will be fixed by the time the final release comes out. :)

Japhering

• Calf
Re: New Alpha Firmware (17135) Breaks Wireless? -- WHR-HP-GN
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »

Thanks for the post .. keep those of us with a whr-hp-gn updated.

I'm currently still on 14998, running a 3 node WDS configuration..  I was hoping that 17135 would improve on the stability

of the router..

Obviously it has.. if no one can connect,  then no stability issues :smileyhappy:

Rynn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »

Hah, true. I haven't had any stability issues myself, though I'm just running the one router.

Oh, I should have mentioned that the LAN still works fine, so someone can still plug in a cable and cause stability issues for you. ;P

Japhering

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »

Well,  I bit the bullet and started updatign my 3 routers starting out at the edge of the network.

Update of a WDS Staion  went fine.   So I let the network run for a few days to see how frequently the router would drop all wireless

connections.   Turns out that 17135 for me is very stable.

Next , I attempted to update the WDS AP.  This was a disaster.  Completely bricked the router so now I'm down a router and waiting on

my RMA.   So  I reconfigured the WDS Station running 17135 to be the new WDS AP ( changed location, WDS AP/Station switch and IP).

That night the WDS AP node dropped all connections .   So I set it to daily at 6am to reboot.   Since there there has not been a network issue

caused by either router.

As soon as my third router comes back, I'll flash it to 17135 and see how the mess works with the AP at 17135  and Stations at 17135 as well as 14998.

Japhering

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »

Well,  third router is back and things have degraded significantly.. the WDS AP  is rolling about every 10-15 minute.. with 1 ap and 2 stations...

and now it doesn't matter if I turn off one of the stations .. the ap fails to stabilize..

At this point,  2 questions come to mind...  1) what the hell did I change that I know don't remember  and 2) would the User-Friendly firmware be any better ?

Japhering

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »

Ok.. I've narrowed down my WDS AP roll issue .. it is one of two things.

1)   DNSMasq .. I had forgotten to turn it off

2)  Keep Alive going to an IP that was off