Author Topic: CloudStor: Suitable for Streaming Movies?  (Read 2477 times)

andrewcw

• Calf
CloudStor: Suitable for Streaming Movies?
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:32:28 AM »

I am looking for a personal NAS device that has easy remote-access capabilities. It seems that Buffalo's CloudStor would be a candidate, but I am curious about its ability to stream video. To be clear, I want to store my massive .avi, .mkv, .mp4 movie collection on solely on this external drive (without maintaining a local copy on any of my computers), and be able to access it while I am in a WiFi-accessible area (hotel, airport, coffee shop) traveling abroad on business. 

Is it possible to do achieve acceptable streaming video playback utilizing the Buffalo CloudStor? Please share your personal experiences regarding this type of usage with this specific device!

Thank you very much for your time.

tsekhar

• Calf
Re: CloudStor: Suitable for Streaming Movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »

You should definitely be able to do so. All my movies, music and TV shows are in a LinkStation in my office (just because it is behind a static IP address). I can stream movies sitting at home or anywhere else. The only limitation is the speed of the wi-fi connection. The Webaccess app on your mobile device will buffer the movie and when completed will log you out of the system.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »

Never, ever, should you store all your important data in one location. Always have at least one backup if the data is important to you.

tsekhar

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »

I have a second Buffalo external hard drive at home with the same data. That one serves as the source for the DLNA services at home. The office one is only for streaming when I am out and about and because I did not want to go through the hassles of setting up one of the Dynamic DNS services.

andrewcw

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »

Thanks for your advice tsekhar.?

Do you know if it is possible to stream movies with ANY NAS in general?

Also, do you have problems with MKV playback? I've heard that a many NAS can't playback MKV movie files.

tsekhar

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

I don't know whether any NAS can stream. Most of the NAS come with software which I suppose should allow some form of streaming. I have not been able to get my ASUS Transformer to stream any of the MKV files that I have on the NAS. No problems with the m4v files though. That might be a problem with the video player  because I have no problems playing the mkv files using Plex.

rdean150

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »

Yes the Cloudstor can definitely stream HD MKVs. I have streamed 10+ GB videos, including MKVs, on my local network. I don't know if my internet connection would be able to provide the necessary upload speeds to stream these over WAN though.

Also, unfortunately, I have only tried to stream videos from it over WAN on mobile devices, namely my HTC Evo smartphone and my Motorola Xoom tablet. Both of those are limited by their software and Wifi radio speeds. So, while standard definition videos stream onto those devices wonderfully, the high quality stuff is another story. For one thing, it usually requires transcoding (and I NEVER EVER transcode using the built-in pogoplug transcoding - but that's a totally different story.) My Xoom can play beautifully high-quality video, but it usually needs to be encoded with specific settings -- and even then HD content usually only works smoothly when playing locally from the device's storage.

But I am quite confident that this is just because they are mobile devices, and that if I were to use a laptop, for instance, it would work great. The only reason they wouldn't play well is if I didn't have a strong enough internet connection.

monica66

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
Do you mean you wanna transfer MKV videos into Asus? As far as I know, ASUS tab can not support MKV videos. You need to reformat MKV to Asus Transformer Pad supported video format like H.264 MP4 so that you can play the encodec MKV videos on ASUS.
http://brorsoft.com/how-to/convert-mkv-to-asus-transformer-pad300-full-screen.html