Author Topic: Drive Station Quattro - TurboUSB / eSata  (Read 2826 times)

Joe_Thin

• Calf
Drive Station Quattro - TurboUSB / eSata
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:25:26 PM »

My Office just got the 1TB version of the subject line above. I need to expand the storage to 4TB and have changed the 4 250GB HDDs for 4 1TB HDDs. Which brings me to the follwing questions:

I'm using the same steps for Windows XP and Windows Vista. I know that XP will not recognize the 4TB setting from an external drive so I'm moving onto my Vista machine.

1) Can I actually expand the storage capacity beyond 1TB?

2) Why does my machine crash whenever I configure the RAID setup? Every single time I get a blue screen. I have looked up on Device Manager there's no ! flags.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Drive Station Quattro - TurboUSB / eSata
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »

1.) That isn't supported, but it might work.

2.) Make sure you're connecting via USB, not eSATA. the raid setup software will only work with USB, as eSATA does not have a control channel.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »

I've installed four 2tb WD drives into my quattro and using the USB to conenct, i managed to raid it to raid 5.

Do not use the e-sata for resyncing of raid, it will never work.

I've tried it many ttimes before using USB to do it.

Joe_Thin

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

Yes I've been using USB the entire time.

I've been trying to get the RAID 5 and right after I select the RAID5 and starts reading I get the blue screen and restart.

I've been trying to get firmware updates but the model is not listed on the website: HD-QSTU2/R5

Thanks for your replies and help

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
Can you post the messages that you are getting in the blue screen?  There isn't any firmware for this unit.

Joe_Thin

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »

I just wrote 4 paragraphs of information and my message did not go through because my link was not "authenticated"...

Let's see if I can recreate everything again without a ban.

The blue screen lasts for only a couple of seconds. I have noticed a memory dump process at the bottom of the screen. I have also noticed that Drive 1 has a flashing red light while the rest of the drives have a green light. I am giving up on the discontinued 1TB model and returning it.

However, I received the 2TB model today and when I tried to change the RAID configuration (Yes with a USB cable) on my XP machine the computer restarted at the Detecting/Formating drives stage. Just a restart no blue screen. I changed the station into my Vista machine and I was able to change the configuration setting and I still have a red light for drive 1 while the rest of the drives are green. At the configuration screen the 4 drives are Orange (Yes the factory drives) and drive 1 has "Rebuilding" in (parenthesis). All drives with the same drive letter on a RAID 5 mode. I navigated to the File->Information Section and it says rebuilding at 13% finished.

Will the light change to green after it rebuilds? Will the station work fine?Can I just drop it from the window of my 8th floor office and follow it please.:robotmad:

Thanks.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
it should work fine after it rebuilds, and the light should change to green

Joe_Thin

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »

Well... it did and it didn't. This is the 2TB Station

I was able to change the configuration but  it had some problems with the detecting/formatting process. It did not always recognize the drive after deteting and doing the transition into formatting. I had to force the detection by turning the Station off/on during this process (On my Vista Machine). And still I had to run "ntfsfix" in Linux to finish the formatting process.

Is this normal? Or am I missing a step in the process?

Thanks