Author Topic: Can someone help me access my data on my linkstation please?  (Read 3622 times)

szimbler

• Calf

Hi there, I have a problem. I have a Linkstation HD-250LAN that has served me well for some time. However, it has been filling up, and just this week the red disc full light came on. Now everything was still fine, deleted some old stuff, old backups, and XP backup continued to do its thing.

But suddenly I am stuck. The red light is on but I cant see any of my shared folders on the linkstation. I can still access the management interface, but there is nothing in the shared folders list there either. The management interface system is saying the disc is 100% full.

I assume this is the problem, but I can't even access the drive to liberate any more space.

I have lots of old photos and music on it I definitley don't want to lose, so any suggestions at how I get back access to my linkstation?

I tried a 'big' reset (hold reset button for 30 secs, unplug power, and then swtich on 30 secs later) but apart from resetting the IP address nothing has changed.

Please help!

Simona

szimbler

• Calf
Re: Can someone help me access my data on my linkstation please?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
   OK, as an addon to this, I can see the drive wtih NASNAvigator2 and although it says the drive is full, it is not showing any of my shares/folders. So the data is still there, just can't see it!. Can anyone PLEASE help?

SeanM

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

I wonder if you and I are having the same issue.  My drive how ever is not full, far from it.

Here is my setup, two laptops, one running XP and the other Vista. I have the Linkstation connected to a D-link DIR-655 Gigabit router. Everything worked fine until recently, I have around 50GB of data on the Linkstation.

Now the share folder directory shows blank on both computers!. Everything else works I can access the drive, do web admin even update firmware (which I tried), my drive firmware is at 2.10

The strange thing is if I run a Disk Check from the web admin for a few seconds after the check  I can read the directory and even open files but after around 10 seconds the directory goes blank again. I have also tried connecting the laptop to the router with a cable just in case the issue is my wireless network.

I have tried a lot of things (Flashing firmware, reseting to default, etc...)  but I know it is not OS related since each laptop is running a different OS.

I can open and read the files in the "info" folder just not the "share" folder.

Try running a check disk from webadmin and immediately after check your share, do you see your files for a short period?

turbojimmy

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »

I'm having the same problem, but now it's gone from bad to worse.

At first I couldn't access the share, but I could see it on the network. So I unhooked it and plugged it directly into the PC. Then I could see the share, but not access it. I could access the Info folder.

Now it says it's in EM mode and it no longer connects itself to the network.

How do I get out of EM mode? Is there any way to fix this?

szimbler

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:41 AM »
    I spoke to Support yesterday and they told me to force-flash the firmware with 1.47 (was already installed) and that has made things much worse. Firmware didn't finnish loading and my LS in in EM mode too. Before I could alt least see the orginal factory share (info) and the web interface, now nothing. So much for Buffalo support! Now what?!!

CoronaBVW

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »

Hello;
     I have a LinkStation LS-WTGLD80 (Model Name LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.05) that I'm having a similar problem with.  This unit has been working (RAID 0) for a while with no issues.  
     My Drive is not full (Percent Used 64.48 %)     
     All my file shares are still listed
     I can still map a drive to the share
     The share is completely blank upon directory listing
     I have tried Windows XP and Ubuntu (ftp, web, smb)
HOWEVER; all the other shares combined only use about 30% of the disk space, so I believe the data to still be on the drive somewhere.  I know that I have thousands of files (pictures) on this share, could there be a limit to the Number of Files on a share, or the Number of Files in a single directory versus the device being full?
Thanks;
Billy
Message Edited by CoronaBVW on 06-10-2009 09:18 PM

Caleb

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

From my knowledge the drive being 100% full and not accessable is a much different issue from it being somewhat full and not accessable. Once the drive is 100% full its usually somewhat at a dead end, from that point the only way to surely recover the drive is to use the disk erase or disk format function on the units web interface page. A firmware flash or reset will only reset the settings on the unit and will not clear any data from it. The only real way to get around this in the future is to make sure the device does not reach 100% full status by disabling any automatic backups after it starts nearing that level and managing your storage carefully. As far as recovering the data if you cannot access the shares normally or in em mode and you only have one shared folder theres not too much you can even do. Other than removing the drives and mounting it directly in a linux environment with a raid controller, but thats not reccomended unless the device is already out of warranty.

Cheers

hunter64

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »

I think I am coming up to your problem as well.

At this time I get info saying I am at 100% capacity, but I am not even close to it truly. I can currently access my files, but I am afraid I will be in your situation soon.

Did anyone assist you in resolving this?

Thanks,

Ron