Author Topic: Error when backing up TeraStation Pro share using Backup Exec 12  (Read 4457 times)

snowolf

• Calf

I have a client with a TeraStation Pro which they back up using Backup Exec on a Windows 2003 server.  I have configured user defined shares within Backup Exec so it can access the TeraStation shares and back them up but sometimes, the following errors occur and a particular share does not get backed up:

Backup- \\172.30.31.209\Corp102 Environmental Site Licensing
Directory \ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
Directory \\172.30.31.209\Corp102\ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.
Unable to attach to \\172.30.31.209\Corp101.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
Unexpected end of backup set encountered on HP 1.
V-79-57344-34004 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered.
Unable to initialize Remote Agent

And in the application log, the following error appears:

An unusual error (64) was encountered while enumerating the contents of the directory:

\\172.30.31.209\Corp102\.

It is possible that files or subdirectories have not been backed up. Please examine your job log or catalogs to ensure this directory tree was backed up in its entirety.

I've researched these error thoroughly but have not been able to find a solution.  Any help would be appreciated!

Brian Kimmes

Startech Computing, Inc.

bkimmes@startech-comp.com

Jason

• El Toro
Re: Error when backing up TeraStation Pro share using Backup Exec 12
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

If you're backing it up in such a way that it requires a remote agent installed. That will not work, you can't "install" anything on a Terastation. 

snowolf

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »

I know that.  I followed suggestions to create user defined shares in order to back up the TeraStation and it usually works fine, except for times when I get the errors.  The error regarding the Remote Agent can be ignored as Backup Exec will still back up the user defined share.

Message Edited by snowolf on 03-06-2009 08:20 AM

snowolf

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »
   Still looking for help with this problem..  I have performed some test backup jobs while a file was open from one of the shares and it backed up fine, so that is not the issue...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »

snowolf,

Does that shared folder have any access restrictions on it?

snowolf

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
   Nope.  And it can happen to any of the 15 shares randomly.  One day they will all back up, the next day share 1 and 2 will fail, the next day share 8 could fail to back up... When they fail, they all have the same error messages that were in my original post.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »

snowolf,

I had a caller earlier today with a similar error on a Windows 2003 server with an error code 64. Symantec could be relaying that code because the device cannot be communicated with. I'm still looking into the issue but we were able to ping, FTP and access the web GUI which led me to believe it was a server communication issue.

snowolf

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »

Not all of the shares on the TeraStation have the error on any given night, so some are backing up fine... So it isn't a total communications failure with the TeraStation.