Author Topic: HELP, Emergency Mode TS-HTGL  (Read 4156 times)

martyturner

• Calf
HELP, Emergency Mode TS-HTGL
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:38 AM »

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

My TS-HTGL-EM178 has entered Emergency Mode on reboot and come up with No Array Info.

I've searched on the web and these forums and see fixes of updating the firmware, however, when I download and run the updater, it finds my device, but pops up a message saying"Couldn't confirm that a partition exists on the TARGET. Updater will format the TARGET and will update the TARGET. ***All of data will be lost*** Do you want to format and update the TARGET?

I thought that having a RAID 5 setup would be the best thing to safeguard my data, i.e. I could lose a drive and still retain the data until I could replace it. This makes a mockery of ANY RAID on this device - purely pointless if this can happen, there's still a single point of failure it seems.

PLEASE can anyone give me a solution, because I really need some of the data on this array.

Thanks,

Marty

martyturner

• Calf
Re: HELP, Emergency Mode TS-HTGL
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »

Just found out, if I remove drive 4, the whole array reboots back to normal (obviously telling me that drive 4 is missing).

This drive was replaced because of a previous failure. It seems that the NAS isn't happy with the new drive?! Would this force the NAS to report no partition? Seems a bit strange to me.

My unit is out of warranty so I cannot get a replacement backplane to test with the drives.

Any ideas?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:42:55 AM »

First, if your data is not backed up, I would back up the data. Then test HD4 on a computer to see if the HD is working correctly.  BTW, what is the mfr and model of HD4?

martyturner

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:05 AM »

Hi,

I do have a backup, so that's ok, HD4 has been replaced as the system said it had failed. The new HD4 was recognised, but after it started the re-sync of the raid, it too apparently died.

I haven't checked to see if either the original or the new HD4's are actually dead, I shall do that the next time I can attached them to a PC.

The original HD4 is a Hitachi Deskstar HDP725050GLA360

The new HD4 is a Western Digital WD5000AAKK-003CA0

Incidentally, I purchased the new drive from UltimateStorage.com who "checked and made sure" the new drive was compatible with the Buffalo Terastation NAS.

Thanks,

Marty

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »

when I do an internet search, I only find the wd5000aakx-003ca0.  you state you have a AAKK version, is that correct? Did the resync of the RAID ever complete? Meaning, did the RAID work for a while after inserting the new drive, or did it never finish the resync correctly?

martyturner

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »

So sorry, it was an X as you correctly state.

No the re-sync never completed. It threw a drive error as per the original one after about 3hrs.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »

the specs for that drive look compatible for your TS. I would test the drive on something else to find out if it is the hard drive, or the hard drive bay causing the issue.

martyturner

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »

Thanks for your help, I shall check and get back to you.