Author Topic: How secure is Web Access?  (Read 2924 times)

scoulter

• Calf
How secure is Web Access?
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:45 AM »

I have enabled Webaccess but I am concerned with security.  With all the talk about worms and trojans and previous emphasis on closing all ports, I just wonder if I am asking for trouble.  I have it set to Users and Groups, not anonymous.  I have usernames and passwords set up for the few people who I want to have access. I do scan for viruses from time to time , on this drive. I guess Norton does not watch it real time. I don't have any really important info on the share I am sharing but do on another share ( that is not enabled for Webaccess. but I do like having Webaccess to share photos, etc.

Is this secure.  Are there other options within the Buffalo options that I should use?

thanks

stu

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: How secure is Web Access?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »
The only other remote functionality that I could suggest would be FTP and use FileZilla. Should work with the access restrictions that you set on the share folders and such.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-04-2009 12:30 PM

scoulter

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:58:55 AM »

I hope to try FTP in the future, to download several photos at once.  I guess what I was asking about what else I can do is what else I can do to enhance or improve security.

Thanks

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
Well you could enable the HTTPS/SSL function in the Web Access->Service Setup and forward port 443 to the IP of your NAS. However, that's all I could really think of.