Author Topic: Remote backup LS-CH2.0TL to another LS-CH2.0TL  (Read 2103 times)

cdsJerry

• Calf
Remote backup LS-CH2.0TL to another LS-CH2.0TL
« on: December 21, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »

I purchased two LS-CH2.0TL units and like many others I've read, my intention is to have one on-site and one off-site.  In order to save bandwidth I figured I'd do the initial backup on my LAN then move the remote unit offsite and do incremental backups of changed data.

I can't get the backups to work however but I'm not sure I have them setup correctly.  In spite of this being a very commonly asked question there seems to be no clear guide on this subject on the Buffalo site.   I can't find anything in the documentation that describes the use of the "Disc Backup" button, what it is, how it works, when to use it, etc. Or how a 'backup password" is used.   In fact, the documentation all seems too light for the subject.  It's all too general.

So.. ending my rant and asking for help now... here goes:

My Local unit is running firmware 1.10.  I have set up a folder for each person's data and defined each user to have read/write permission to their folder only.  Only the Admin has access to all the folders (read/write as well).   In the backup.   In System->Backup I have created a new backup called "mirrored" and selected each of the user's folders as the source.  No destination is available.

On the remote unit (which at this point is still local on my LAN) I'm also running version 1.10 of the firmware.  I created a new share called "Destmirror" and restricted access to the admin and myself as a user.  As this is a destination drive I guessed and clicked the Disc Backup button and entered a password but again, I can't find anything that says how to use these fields.

Well nothing seems to have happened so my guesses must have been wrong.  I did find the article at http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10127 and followed it but still no luck.  Local unit sees destmirror and destmirror has a shared folder with the Disc Backup box checked.   The instructions don't say which unit to create the Disc Backup from. I've tried them both but no luck. Another bad guess on my part I guess but with no documentation all I can do is keep guessing.

Anyone have a step-by-step on how to setup and create a remote backup fo rthe LS-CH2.0TL units?

Can I perform the initial backup on the LAN then go remote for the differential updates?

In the backup type they list Overwrite Backup/Differential.  Is that what I think it is where it simply overwrites the files that have changed since the last backup?

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Remote backup LS-CH2.0TL to another LS-CH2.0TL
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »

If you are trying to do remote backups I would recommend ts3's with proper vpn and gateway settings.  But with what we are setting up, make sure both folders have the backup box checked.  Then you should be able to create a backup job on device 1 (primary) to the backup device (2) by selecting the target as the folder on machine 2, then it should work if local, if remote that is your lan and wan settings that come into play.  If you can't get that work please call us up and we can see what we can do.  Make sure they have the same firmware revision.

cdsJerry

• Calf
Re: Remote backup LS-CH2.0TL to another LS-CH2.0TL
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »

I'm still struggling with this.  Nothing I have tried get's the primary unit to see the secondary unit  as a backup destination.  When I ask the GUI to View NAS devices it sees the secondary, but there's no where to choose it as the destination.  When I go to the Primary, Backup, Backup Folders and try to add a folder to the backup set the secondary doesn't show as an option. All that shows is the share on the same primary drive.  I don't want to backup private folders to a public share.

I read KB# 000120 but it doesn't help. It assumes too many steps and I must be doing one of them incorrectly.   I did call support and after a long wait was asked to leave a message.  I did but no one has returned the call and it's been weeks now.

I just purchased these two units specifically because I was told I could set up the secondary to backup  the primary off site.  I'd love to return them and get something that works however 1) it's been over 30 days so I can't return them and 2) I was already told these would do it and now I'm being told I need a different unit.  Buffalo's site says it works with the units I have, why should I believe it would work with a different unit when they've already not been able to keep their promise.

I think Buffalo drives are nice, but they're missing so many important features they claim to have.  I've read many many messages on the forums now from people with the exact same problem I'm having yet Buffalo hasn't corrected the problem nor made the solution easy.  They aren't listening to their customers.