Author Topic: AirStation N600 or AirStation N450 , Please help  (Read 2829 times)

kfoaim

• Calf
AirStation N600 or AirStation N450 , Please help
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »

Hey guys

I hope you are all doing well

This thing has really got me confused!

I would like to get a Gigabit buffalo wireless router but I could not decide between the Buffalo N450 (WZR-HP-G450H) and the Buffalo N600 (WZR-600DHP)

Even thought the N600 is a dual band but the N450 is more expensive!

I looked into this as deep as I can and reviewed the Tech. Specs. for both of them but all I was able to find is that the n450 has 3 antennas while the n600 has two

So can you please help me with the differences between them?

To be honest with you, all I care about is the wireless range and Gigabit interfaces (so the higher combined speed of the n600 is not a big deal for me and both of them has Gigabit interfaces)

Thanks in advance :)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: AirStation N600 or AirStation N450 , Please help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:41:51 AM »

the 450 will connect on 2.4Ghz with a speed of 450Mb/s sec max. the 600 will connect at 300Mb/s on 2.4 and 5Ghz, it really depends what kind of adaptors you have. Personally speaking id go for the dual band option (thats if your wireless adaptors support 5Ghz)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

kfoaim

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »

Thanks for your quick response , But what about the range? Do they differ from each other?

Regarding the 5GHz adapter , The environment I will use the router in is pretty big and my end devices are laptops (macbook air, macbook pro, a couple of Sony vaios,a couple of asus laptops) and a couple of PS3s and some mobile phones (Iphone , blackberry, samsung galaxy s)

So I really don`t know the type of adapter built in each one of these devices :(

Which band is more common in built in adapters?

Mithral

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »

I'm tring to make the same decision.   All my newer labtops (like yours) connect at 2.4Ghz, none of them are 5Ghz compatible.  My PC's all have 2.4ghz NIC cards and I'm not spending $40 each on a bunch of new 5ghz NIC cards just to use a different WiFi channel because it won't increase my internet connection speeds.  iPhone 4's and iPod are only 5Ghz capable, and they do fine on 2.4Ghz.  So neither one of us could take full advantage of a 5ghz channel.  

2.4Ghz will have a bit greater range than 5.0Ghz.  Lower-slower Freq will go farther than higher-faster Freq.  Just a matter of physics.  N450 has 5dbl antennas so it will have greater range regardless.   I'm  considering the N600 simply for future compatibilities with new device technologies.  But I would currely not use the 5Ghz band, so the G450 is probably the better choice for me and I'll worry about future technologies farther into the future.

>>>

What I need to ask is a really Noobish quesiton about connecting a printer with ethernet capable connection?

I currently have an all-in-one printer attached to my G router via ethernet cable, and all my networked computers can print to it.  The computers can see it on the network and install it as a regular printer.   I can't find anything on the web that confirms or denies that I can do this same setup on these new routers.  Web info talks about USB  printers  but no info about basic ethernet capable printers.  Maybe I'm just asking so simple a question that the answer should be obvious.