Author Topic: Cannot remove internal drive on LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-WV2.0TL/R1  (Read 4190 times)

TheIntruder

• Calf

When I first got my LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-WV2.0TL/R1, the internal drives on the device felt like they weren't properly seated in the enclosure.  It was only noticeable when I moved the LinkStation around, and the device was 100% operational, so I quickly forgot about the issue.

The other day, I had to reposition the LinkStation, and again I noticed that the drives felt loose inside the enclosure.  This time I decided to open up the device and take a peek inside.  I opened the front of the enclosure (as per Buffalo Tech's instructions), and noticed one of the drives was a bit wobbly.  The device has been working fine, no issues whatsoever, but I did want to see if I could re-seat the drives more securely.  I figured I'd remove both drives, and then try re-inserting them.  The first drive came out fine, but the second drive refused to come out.  No matter what I did, there was no way to remove the second drive, almost as if something was blocking it.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that two metal tabs on the enclosure that guide the drive into position had been (intentionally?) bent so as to prevent the removal of the second drive.  Now, this seems completely bizarre to me, and I obviously didn't bend them (it would actually be incredibly difficult for me to bend them, as they are extremely rigid), but these two bent tabs block the removal of the second drive.  I'm attaching photos below with the metal tabs circled in red.  The arrows show where the tab butts up against a protruding stub on the drive, preventing removal.  Is my enclosure defective or is it this way by design?  If it's supposed to be this way, how the hell can I remove the second drive??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

[Running Windows Vista Home Premium x64]

Jotin

• Big Bull

I have noticed this before with other units. We can get you a replacement unit. How long have you had it for?

TheIntruder

• Calf

Just saw your reply.  Somehow I never got an email notification.

Anyway, I bought the device in January 2011.  I'd like to keep the drives if possible -- they seem to work fine, it's the enclosure that's the problem.  Although I'm not entirely sure how I could remove them.  Is there any way you could send me a new enclosure?  Or what would you suggest?

Thanks for you help.

Jotin

• Big Bull

If you're within the US I can set you up for an adavanced replacement. PM and we can discuss it. If your outside the US you will want to contact your local support and request an RMA.

TheIntruder

• Calf
Re: Cannot remove internal drive on LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-WV2.0TL/R1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »

Send you a PM.  Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »

I have not received it. You can also call support at 866-752-6210.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »

I just received my replacement RMA unit, and it is also has the bent metal tabs!!??  I tried removing the second drive, and sure enough, there's no way to remove it... or at least, not that I can tell.  The first drive comes out normally with no issues.

It seems to me that these units are designed this way for some bizarre reason... I mean, how else can you explain the fact that two of them have the bent tabs?  Could someone please verify this?  Is this some crazy coincidence or are they genuinely designed this way?

If they are designed this way intentionally, could someone please explain to me how to remove the second drive?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Thanks.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »

They were not designed this way. My unit does not have this issue. I have the same unit you do. It may have just happened on accident on a few units when they were being made.

TheIntruder

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »

Thanks, yeah, I just got off the phone with Tech Support, and they confirmed what you said.  I'm hoping to speak to Customer Service on Monday to see if I can get another replacement.

MEFlyingV

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
Has anyone else had this issue? I just went to remove my Hard Drives for the first time and I have the exact same problem. I cannot remove one of the hard drives due to the very same bent metal piece.

MEFlyingV

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
Here is an update on my problem. Success! After being frustrated with Buffalo Tech support, I reached in with a pair of thin needlenose pliers. The HD that I could remove was out, so I wanted to see if those metal tabs could be bent back.

To my pleasant surprise, the tabs were actually loose. As soon as the pliers touched them, they moved and I was able to remove the 2nd hard drive!