Author Topic: Has TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5 become a door stop?  (Read 3325 times)

MajorHavoc

• Calf
Has TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5 become a door stop?
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
Took out an older TeraStation to use (I need some files shared on the network) and to my surprise, neither Windows 7, or Mac OS-X can connect by anything other than ftp. Has this device basically become a boat anchor? (my old XP machine sees, it, but not W7, W8 or Mac OS-X 10.8 or above).

I tried to search this forum, and it looks like this problem came up some years ago. I find it disappointing that Buffalo sees no reason to update older products. What a waste of still good equipment.

So, does this means buying a new NAS now because there is just no way to make this work, or does anyone have some workarounds?

Otherwise, I guess I am off to buy a new NAS, and not sure it will be a Buffalo this time I am sorry to say. I hate when things that still run need to be tossed into the landfill. Not really being a green company sadly.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Has TeraStation HD-H1.0TGL/R5 become a door stop?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »
First of all reset it via the web admin page (Maintenance - Initialization - Restore Terastation to Factory defaults)
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

MajorHavoc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Thanks. Done. No difference.

It seems that the firmware is just to old to work with OSX's newer, more secure AFP or even newer Windows sharing.
Tried all the things on the Apple forums too. Nothing helped. Great if all I want is an FTP NAS, but that is not what I want.

It is just sad that technology that is not so old  is just abandon like this. I hate tossing stuff into the dump. Oh well, off to buy something new.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

It is just sad that technology that is not so old  is just abandon like this. I hate tossing stuff into the dump. Oh well, off to buy something new.

Erm, how old is it? This was one of the 1st NAS's that Buffalo produced, so maybe 9 years old or older! How long would you expect them to support it exactly?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

MajorHavoc

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:26 PM »
Well, from what i have read, they stopped supporting it about 3 to 4 years after it came out, when AFP changed to the more secure method.

I was not looking for anything new in support, but it seems they abandoned the drive at about 3 to 4 years old. I was looking for some old firmware that at least had newer AFP support which came out in 2008 I believe.

So yea, we agree, I think it is 8 years old, and I would not expect today to get parts or even customer service on such a device (I think 5 or 7 depending on which state you live in), but 4 years ago, when AFP changed? Yea, I would have expected them to support it then, and then did not. There are dozens of messages on Apple's boards about the lack of support for this drive going back to 2006 and 2007, when the drive was not so old. THAT is what bothers me.

But as you point out, it is a moot point. But as I said, I hate throwing stuff in the dump that should still work. SIGH!

End of discussion. Thank you for your comments. Appreciated.