Author Topic: Backup Exec: permissions issue with TS-RX4.0TL/R5  (Read 1186 times)

Hal900x

• Calf
Backup Exec: permissions issue with TS-RX4.0TL/R5
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:08 AM »

Hi folks. I'm having what appears to be an AD permissions issue with a customer's Terastation and Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows 2008 standard domain controller. We use a unique backup to disk folder for each media set/job to keep it simple. Originally I had planned a simple 4-week retention plan with no father/grandfather etc. So there were 28 B2D folders, 4 for each day of the week, labelled like Monday1, Monday2, Monday3, Monday4, Tuesday1, etc. However, I ended up switching to a 2 week rotation so the latter two folders (Monday3, Monday4, etc) for each week went unused. This is relevant as you'll see. All backup to disk folders are subfolders of a share in the root of the Terastation with no access restrictions. The permission on the share has been set to read/write and SMB is enabled.

All backup jobs fail with an out of space error and remain queued indefinitely. When I attempt to manually browse the B2D folderrs with a domain admin account, I get an access denied error from Windows. Strangely, I do not get this error with the latter two B2D folders for each day that did not get a job assigned to them. Backup Exec services run on a manually created account that is a member of the administrators group and has been granted all necessary system permissions by Backup Exec.

I have tried manually assigning user and group read/write permissions to the share on the Terastation without success.

Guybak

• Calf
Re: Backup Exec: permissions issue with TS-RX4.0TL/R5
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:33:54 PM »
How did you even get your nas to work with BU? I could never get it to create the backup to disk folder. Can you give me some pointers? Symantec said it was a permissions issue. It is on the domain, but doesn't show any users. Please help!