Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300N Acting as Master Browser - Is this OK & how did it happen  (Read 2040 times)

bignose2

• Calf

WZR-hp-g300nh2EU

Just had a very frustraing two days banging head against wall & just want to get clear what might have happened.

Basically lost full access to MSHome networks.

Could ping all OK on IP & Names etc, could use previously set up Network neighbourhood addresses but could not go though

My Network Places\Entire Network\MSHome. DOS Net View also error 6118.

Only just seems to have stopped working

Could not find Master Browser and assume this was problem.

Don't think I had changed anything apart from some fiddling with my WD My Book Live NAS ethernet attached to the WZR, iTunes server etc.

but don't think did anythinhg to router itself?

Tried everything, dozens of all computer restarts, router

Quite a big'ish LAN, 8 or so computers 3 are Win 7 rest XP (One vista, not often on network). Win 7 are on MSHome "Work settings, NOT on a HomeGroup, and have worked for months if not years OK. two WHR-G300N buffalo routers off main WZR to extend range.

Set all but two XP computers as DhcpNodeType as No, the two main, (always on computers) as Yes.

Firewalls off etc.

In desperation I did an firmware (I use only Simple Buffalo firmware, use to love DD-WRT on all by G54-HP's but just not good or fast on the WHR or WZR) the WZR from 1.79 to 1.80.

On restart started to work, initially my main XP computer seemed to be master, great, all other PC's could immediately see network, Net View fine etc.

The Main PC could not see the whole network correctly, only itself & the Router but the function worked, Net View etc. so still a big improvement.

Decided to restart this Main PC and afterwards could see all MSHome on every computer, great. But could not see which computer was the Master Browser.

Eventually tested  "RouterDisk" with nbtstat -a RouterDisk. It turns out this is now the master.

RouterDisk is under NAS/Shared Service, Shared Folder, enabled, "RouterDisk" Workgroup Name "MSHome".

[Shared Service] Cannon be used, no recognise disk.

I assume this is what is doing it but not very clear as to why or that this is for this purpose.

There is no real folder RouterDisk as no USB disk for it to reside on, in exporer it shows Printers & Faxes but thats it.

This is fine & great but I did not know the router could do this, not sure if it was before & why I suddently got problems.

I know I should be pleased it is all working but I do like to roughly understand what is going on & if I get another prpblems where to look.

Could someone explain that this is normal behaviour & should be OK,

Little worried if I restart router or just in general if the polling for master browser between the 2 XP PC's and the router could cause problems.

I assume this was always there and not someting added on the latest 1.80 firmware.

I like the idea of the router in control as it will always be on rather than relying on one or two PC's.

Sorry for long message,

Thanks I/A

Media server off.

bignose2

• Calf

Problem back again, following on from my own problem/questions.

Not had any responces so don't hold out much hope...

Lost master browser again and so no MS Home !

Thought I could esasily find now, to look to the router.

No sign of    " __MSBROWSE__   " using nbtstat -a xxxxxxx

Now, set last two PC's to DhcpNodeType as No & restarted all.

Now find the WD My Book Live seems to have taken over the job, which is really only a Hard Disk, don't think a clever NAS or anything.

MYBOOKLIVE <00> UNIQUE Registered
MYBOOKLIVE <03> UNIQUE Registered
MYBOOKLIVE <20> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
MSHOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
MSHOME <1E> GROUP Registered
MSHOME <00> GROUP Registered

Would much prefer it is the Router itself, seems to work OK but  would rather the Hard disk is just than?

Not sure if anything to do with the stoppong ALL pc's from becoming master browers or what?

To in vestigate but just noticed on the list of services on the Router it shows TWO MyBookLive's with different MAC's but on the same IP.

Not had this before?I think a few more restarts?

Any advise, spent whole morning trying to fix & getting exhausted.

Thanks I/A.