Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a non-PC remote music device that is DLNA compatible?  (Read 1853 times)

wayneinmn

• Calf

I'm looking for a way to play all of the music that I loaded up to my Linkstation and I'm trying to find a non-PC based method of playing them.  The Squeezebox from Logitech looks nice, but I'm a bit intimidated at trying to install Squeezecenter on my Linkstation.

Any recommendations?

THANKS!

stefliss

• Calf

Check Logitech SqueezeBox ( audio only) you can stream your music ( amongst other thgs) you need to run a server agent on one PC but does not need to be where your music files are stored ( I have them stored on my Buffalo NAS)

DumbTechDude

• Tatanka

The most versatile and perhaps most economical approach to a remote music device is the iPod Touch or an iPhone due to the fact that you can load up applications to make it what you want.  You can make an iPod Touch into a Squeeze Box by loading up 2 applications, namely Media Link Player Lite by Alpha Systems Inc (FREE) and Shoutcast (FREE).  Medial Link Player Lite is a uPNP/DLNA player that works with any server that is uPNP/DLNA certified including my Synology and TVersity servers.  Easy to use interface and instant access.  You do not need to load up anything on your NAS other than turning on your uPNP/DLNA option.  Both my servers provide iTunes library access as well as the BBC and any RSS podcast stuff collected by TVersity.  Media Link Player Lite supports album covers if your MP3 ID tag allows it.  Shoutcast is an internet radio player.  With so much content, I'm even having a hard time keeping up! 

The advantage of using an iPod Touch or iPhone is obvious -- you get to choose any audio speakers arrangement you want from the mediocre ones to the very best!  Squeezebox is too expensive for what it does in my opinion, and audio quality is so so unless you get their other ones that you can connect to your own HIFI system.

If you want to access your audio stuff through your HDTV however and you don't have a DLNA capable display set, you can buy an ASUS O Play ( I own one with wireless capability) and that can access your NAS library through uPNP or through SMB file serving.  You need to have your TV on though to listen to the music by the way.

Hope this helps.