Author Topic: LinkStation 220D & FTP over TLS  (Read 977 times)

drc

• Calf
LinkStation 220D & FTP over TLS
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:02:09 AM »
I have a Linkstation  LS220D (LS220D7FB) Version 1.70-0.01 and am told by the web interface that "This LinkStation is using the latest firmware.".

I have been using Filezilla (FZ) as an FTPclient to this Linkstation since 2017. FZ is configured to 'Use explicit FTP over TLS if available'. However, it now appears broken.  I get a msg: GnuTLS error -8: A packet with illegal or unsupported version was received.

Not sure when it started as i haven't FTP'd to it in a while. It works fine if i revert to plain (insecure) FTP.

Clearly, this is an issue with FZ which is regularly updating itself rather than the Linkstation firmware.

As far as i can tell from reading various forums this is likely to be because TLS has evolved and the Linkstation is likely to be still supporting TLS 1.0 - so, presumably, with FZ being up-to-date with the latest TLS specs there is an incompatibility.

I've played around with various FZ settings and can't find anything to force it to TLS 1.0 so am stuck with plain FTP. I've also tried different FTP clients to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions they'd be gratefully received. I'm also intending to post on a FZ forum and will post any successes here.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LinkStation 220D & FTP over TLS
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
I've never done anything with FTPS but have some general advice.

Standard disclaimer: Always make sure you have a backup of data you don't want to lose. Make extra sure that backup actually works and is up to date before messing with anything.

some folks have had some success enabling extra protocols (ex SMB2) on firmware where the underlying software supported it but the configuration didn't enable it. You might be able to tweak the proftpd config to add newer TLS versions assuming it and the  ssl/tls libraries on the device support it.

You can get root shell access with ACP_Commander  which would allow you to make those kinds of changes:
https://github.com/1000001101000/acp-commander

Another option would be to replace the stock firmware entirely with a generic Debian installation. This would allow you to install newer software with better support for these newer protocols. The main disadvantage is that you have to install everything yourself, the Debian install only sets up the base OS and ssh.

Installer files can be found here:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Buffalo

bibidonnell

• Calf
Re: LinkStation 220D & FTP over TLS
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:19:10 AM »
Thank you very much for the explanation.