Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH connectivity issue and VPN dropping  (Read 1977 times)

depu

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH connectivity issue and VPN dropping
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »

I recently purchased a WZR-HP-G300NH with high hopes of replacing an old WRT54G.

Firmware version : 1.74

ISP:Comcast

Authentication WPA/WPA2 mixedmode - PSK

Encryption TKIP/AES mixedmode

After clearing up the issue with connecting to the ISP now it seems there are other issues cropping up.

1.  The network is terribly slow.Ping to the 192.168.11.1 IP varies anywhere between 3ms to 948ms. Pages load halfway through and then freeze for sometime.

2.  I connect to my office network using a VPN client. I am seeing the connection drop nearly every 10 minutes, whether i am using the network or not.

The network was setup after scanning with inSSIDer to select a frequency so there is the least inteference. Also, I am sitting about 5 feet from the router.

Like you can imagine, i am not really a happy camper right now and am looking for some means to sort these issues out.

Since i cant really work with the router as it is right now, i have set it up as an Access point instead, connected via wire to the older Linksys router so that i can test the buffalo router without cauing myself a headache.

Any advise would be welcome.

ScottP

• Tatanka
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH connectivity issue and VPN dropping
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »

If the Buffalo router is still working as a wired access point, and you are not seeing the issues with the ping times and the lost VPN connections in this configuration, then it's pretty safe to rule out wireless interference as the source of these problems.

What kind of modem are you using with Comcast?  Did you have the Buffalo router plugged directly into the modem, or was it going through another network switch or router before reaching the modem?

With comcast, sometimes dropping the MTU size down to 1401 (from the default of 1500 or 1518) can lead to a more stable connection.  This setting should be in the advanced section of the Internet settings page of the router.

depu

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:13 AM »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have the router running as the main router attached directly to the VPN modem right now and I am still seeing a flaky performance with the network and also the VPN connections. Infact i have moved the frequency band into a range that has no interference showing and i am having trouble with youtube video's freezing for no reason.

I'll give it a shot with the MTU like you have mentioned and see if it helps, but the settings right now are the same as which were applied across the linksys router for over 2 years now.

icefire

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

Hi, Scott,

Sorry, I reply to this thread as it's also a VPN drop connection issue.

I faced the same problem when connect to my WHR-HP-CN (150M), the VPN drop connection frequently, follow your suggestion, no drop issue if wired connect to route, seems related to wireless I/F, this issue happened after I upgrade to DD-WRT version,  I reset to factory setting, but no help.  VPNalways dropping that's very suffer, can you help on this.

icefire

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:47 AM »

I have to refreshed to stock image v1.82...it works fine with VPN...no clue on dd-wrt..