Author Topic: Replacing Drives in a LinkStation 420 (LS420D0202)  (Read 3118 times)

joenunez

• Calf
Replacing Drives in a LinkStation 420 (LS420D0202)
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
So I just purchased the LinkStation 420 (LS420D0202) which is the 2 TB version (2 x 1 TB drives). I am pretty excited about it but quickly realizing I should have purchased the model with the larger drives in it. In any case I am determined to make the best of my situation and had a question revolving around replacing the drives in this unit.

Because I already have data on my RAID array, I want to be very sure I do not lose said data. Is it possible then, to replace ONE of the two 1 TB drives with a 4 TB drive, let the RAID array rebuild and then replace the second drive to ensure I do not lost anything? I guess my question is do I have to replace the drives at the same time due to their being larger drives?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am keeping my eyes open for deals on 4 TB SATA drives so this isn't an immediate need but I'll be wanting to change over the drives soon.

Thanks in advance.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Replacing Drives in a LinkStation 420 (LS420D0202)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:12:59 PM »
YOu can replace the drives with bigger drives but theres one problem now. You cant make your raid bigger then what it is. So the only thing you can do and i RECOMMEND is to back up your data to another drive and then delete the raid on the Linkstation once you know your data is backed up. Then remove drive 2 and put in the 4tb drive and format the drive. Turn off the unit and move the newly formatted 4tb drive to bay one and then put the other new 4tb drive in bay 2. I would keep the 1tb drives for your warranty. If you tell buffalo you swapped drives they will not honor your warranty. Once you have both 4tb drives in and formatted create the new raid. Now move your data over and BAM your done. it you have a question just ask. O dont go cheap and but green drives or eco drives. Buy good drives. Green and eco are not really made for this kind of thing but companies use them any ways.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

joenunez

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
So basically I have to have another place to backup my data prior to switching anything out? In that case maybe the best thing to do is just replace them both at once - after deleting the RAID array of course. This isn't ideal but I guess I had better do it quick before I've got too much to store elsewhere while I am doing this maintenance.

Any recommendations on non-super expensive though reliable 4 TB drives?

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
There all expensive. If your going for a 4tb its better to invest to the better one like western digital red then going cheap and getting a green or energy efficient one. You want to look at long run and not I want cheap mass storage. Cost vs effect I say. Never had issue with red as much as Seagate. Sea gates start off fantastic but after a few months they start to show bad sectors or issues. I use my stuff a lot so this might be different for others but I would buy western red or black no matter the cost.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Second what the above poster says about WD reds.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!