Author Topic: Linkstation Live installation failed!  (Read 6561 times)

linkstation

• Calf
Linkstation Live installation failed!
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:44:02 PM »

I recently purchased my first HS-DH500GL linkstation live refurb and the unit powered on without problem.  I downloaded the LinkStation_Live_CD_Image_101.zip to install.  I couldn't follow the D:\setup.exe as instructed in the manual so I run LSNavi.exe and it seems to be on track with the manual stated until I hit "Install" for the software "BUFFALO NAS Navigator". 

The error message is "BUFFALO NAS Navigator   Cancelled or an error occured."   :smileymad:

When I hit "Next", the screen read "Congratulations! Setup has been completed successfully."  which is very confusing.  It didn't install the "LinkStation", just the "BUFFALO NAS Navigator".

My OS is XP Home service pack 3, and linksys 54g router.   I feel bad that I ran into problem already during first installation setup.  What have I done wrong??  Do I have the correct software installation software??

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live installation failed!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

The software is really not needed.  Once you know the IP address of the device you can log in to via a web browser to make all of your changes.  To connect your pcs to the device just open my computer then go to tools then map network drive.  Use this formula \\IP_OF_NAS\share folder name

then you can right click on the mapped drive to create a short cut to the desk top. 

linkstation

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »
   Oh is that right?  How do I go about finding the IP_OF_NAS?  I try to map the network drive with my router default gateway IP address and I'm getting an error "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation".  What am I missing here?? 

Lazien

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »

I have the exact same problem.  I tried hooking it up directly to my pc and it still will not find the Linkstation pro duo.

My router says it is there...the front panel lan activity light on the NAS is on but nobody is home.

I can't find the IP address for it in my router and I've tried guessing the first 10 default IPs (192.168.0.1,.2,.3 and so on) to no avail.

Help would be awesome

Thanks

Message Edited by Lazien on 12-09-2008 08:00 PM

Lazien

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »

I figured it out...even knowing I turned off my firewall (right click exit from menu on taskbar icon) it was still blocking the NAS.  Once I turned my firewall back on (Comodo Pro) it asked to allow or deny the program.  As soon as I allowed it the thing worked without a hitch.

It seems that even if you have your firewall turned off it can still mess with the detection.

Hope this helps

linkstation

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »
   Still no luck on my side.  I turned off zone alarm like you said, but it's still giving me the same error message! Can someone please help me??  I didn't realize this product is so user-unfriendly.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:15:32 AM »

You can always login into it via direct connect.  If you have anotherfirewall running or some software that can not be disabled that is blocking thesoftware then follow the steps below.

Before you get started you will need to know the IP of your router.  Todo this go to start run type cmd <enter>  then type IPCONFIG<enter> the default gateway will most likely be your router

Plug your LS into your PC with a regular ethernet cable.

Reset the linkstation (button in the back labeled INIT)

Set a static IP on your PC

(how to below)

Set the IP to 192.168.11.10

subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

default gateway N/A

The buffalo unit will sit on 192.168.11.150

Now you can log into the buffalo (web browser at 192.168.11.150)

under the network tab you can disable DHCP and enter in an IP address thatis in range of your router. (same IP of your router except for the last number,that has to be different).

Hit apply then plug every back into the router and put your IP and DNS backto auto (directions above) 

Message Edited by Paul on 12-16-2008 09:50 AM

linkstation

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »

Thanks Paul, I am going to try your approach however, I'm not able to see any of jpg files even when I shut off zonealarm.  can't find server technet.tims-support.com

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »

Sorry about that the website I pulled the data off is now off line.

If you don't know how to set a static IP you can Google it for your operating system.