Author Topic: Linkstation Live DH500GL - USB Attached Storage.  (Read 2810 times)

Bobbyboy

• Calf
Linkstation Live DH500GL - USB Attached Storage.
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:11 AM »

Fisrt post bought about by my linkstation 500gb giving up on me, I copied all the stuff from it to a usb drive attached to the device as a backup... Now it would seem that as my device only stays up for a couple of minutes before powering down and beeping I can't get to my data.

I have many questions, but the first is how can I get to the data on the USB drive ?, can I attach it another PC for example ?, maybe a PC running Ubunto ?

Once i have that data secured I would be a lot happier trying to reoad the firmware on the linkstation without seeking professional help...

Thanks in advance

nicbot

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Live DH500GL - USB Attached Storage.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »
   Does this device only have 1 500GB drive in it?

Bobbyboy

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »

Yes, it is the single 500gb disk version, the usb HDD is a 320gb but has a copy (File copy rather than a backup) of all the important files. Once I've got the USB HDD working on my pc I'll be a lot happier. 

nicbot

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »

From reading your posts it sounds like you had a 320GB drive attached via USB to another external 500GB drive to back it up...I'll assume this is correct.  And the 500GB drive is the one that is failing.

First, make sure to try the simple stuff first like new known-good USB and power cables.  Make sure the USB cables are not over 5M in length and the shorter the better.

With the 500GB drive failing you should be able to connect the 320GB drive via usb to any Windows or Mac machine assuming it's formatted to FAT32.  NTFS will need to be attached to a Windows machine.  As long as you did a file copy rather than a 'buffalo' backup you should be able to access all that data fine.

When attaching to Windows the 320GB USB drive should be recognized just as an external drive.

Once you have your 320GB drive working you can then work getting the data off of your 500GB drive.  This is where it may get tricky with Buffalo warranty and whatever so understand that this should be done at your own risk.

If it's a single 500GB drive in the enclosure, you should be able to take it out and either connect it directly inside your PC or put it in another USB enclosure which you may need to buy/borrow.  This will eliminate the enclosure from being the point of failure.

Examples of a couple;

For IDE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145656

For SATA: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

Once you have your 500GB drive in another enclosure or connected to your PC internally you should have a better chance at getting the data off of it.

If I have read your posts wrong please straighten me out :)

Good Luck!