Author Topic: have some newbie questions....  (Read 1331 times)

iamdamion

• Calf
have some newbie questions....
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »

Hey everyone. I just got a linkstation live LS-CH 1.0Tb. I have a few basic questions that I haven't been able to find any specific info on in the manual or browsing and searching the forums. maybe someone can help me understand this better. 

1. iTunes/Media server :

I enabled a folder in the media server options, and itunes found the drive and automatically placed it in the shared area of itunes. I then changed the library location in itunes to point to the folder on the NAS, and imported music into my library. Everything is working and playing off the NAS, but when I click the drive in the shared area of itunes, it doesn't show any files. The files are in the library, and all seems to be working correctly, but I would think the files should show up when i click the drive correct? As I said, it's working, but I don't understand why it would work this way. I expected the have to select my music from the drive.

2. Twonky Server:

I read on a post on here that if I browsed to my NAS, through port 9050, i could then change the twonky settings. I tried it, and it worked. I don't know much about twonky except I have read it's a good media server that people use for xbox streaming and stuff. My question here, is why have the buffalo settings page, AND the twonky page? If I change the settings for shared folders in the twonky interface, I can specify what type of files (photo, music, etc) are in each folder. I have tried to twonky site to learn more about it, but they only seem to be pushing their media browser program. So again, everything seems to be working, but why have both options? and why not mention the twonky interface in the setup guide since it seems to have more options, however I am afraid to tweak it before i understand it as I would think it could conflict with the main buffalo interface and mess things up. 

Anyway, am I just showing how new I am to all of this? Can anyone help give me the basics or point me to a site or wiki that'll help me understand and be able to take full advantage of all the features? I feel like I am missing out. 

Thanks!

-Damion

iamdamion

• Calf
Re: have some newbie questions....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:16 PM »

Can't anyone give me any sort of input at all? It'd be greatly appreciated.