Author Topic: TeraStation Pro TS-HTGL/R5 Firmware 1.33 - Trouble viewing backups  (Read 2041 times)

brianruschman

• Calf

I have a Buffalo TeraStation Pro TS-HTGL/R5 running firmware version 1.33.  I have a USB drive attached to the TeraStation and formatted XFS and backups are fine to the drive.  They complete succesfully.  If I want to restore a file from this drive through Windows, I cannot.  My XP Pro PC (in Disk Management) recognizes the USB drive, but it does not get a drive letter and I cannot read any information from it.  I want to be able to do this.  Should I change the format to FAT32 on the USB drive?  Will the backup information then be able to be seen through Windows?  Thanks for any help that you can give.

michiganian

• Calf
Re: TeraStation Pro TS-HTGL/R5 Firmware 1.33 - Trouble viewing backups
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:13:59 AM »

XFS is one of formats for Linux. Unless you have a third vendor software, you cannot read data from Windows PC.

If you format the hard drive by FAT32, you will be able to read from Windows PC. However, you cannot back up a file more than 4GB due to the limitation of FAT32.

If you have TeraStation III models, you may want to use "EXT3 Reader". With the program, you can read data on EXT3 formated USB drive from Windows PC.