Author Topic: Increase Array capacity ?  (Read 4181 times)

dyp110625

• Calf
Increase Array capacity ?
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »

LS- WXL original setup RAID1 2x1TB capacity 917.1GB which is OK. Long story sort:

- Replace first 1TB hard drive by one 1.5TB hard drive, rebuild array

- Replace 2nd 1TB hard drive by one 2TB hard drive, rebuild array.

Everything is working fine, except the capacity is still at 917.1GB. I expect the capacity would be at the level of RAID1 2x1.5TB which must be more than 917.1GB. I think I am missing some thing.

Please some one guide me the correct step by step to do it.

Thank

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Increase Array capacity ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

You cannot do it that way. It's not supported but you have to replace both disks and use the TFTP boot.

dyp110625

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »

thank

Can you give me more detail?

dyp110625

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »

Thank for answer any way.

TFTP I think mainly for repair NAS. My NAS is OK.

Here is what I did to increase my array capacity to level of 2x1.5TB, 1382.7GB.

- Backup array data (because delete array will delete your data)

- Delete Array

- Create a new Array.

Conclusion: My computer mother board RAID 1 rebuilding, by default, will automatic increasing the capacity of array if it see the increase of hard drive capacity.

LS-WX raid 1 rebuilding function does not have that feature. So It take me 24 hour to put my data back to NAS.  It is master of firmware program, I hope Buffalo will include that in future.

This is the best I can do, however every one is welcome if there is a better way.

jamesnb

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

Hello,

I intend to upgrade my capacity in very near future, just like what you just did. I shall get 2TB to replace for my almost full 1TB.

One thing I would like to check with you, that is, when you mentioned a "backup your existing data", does that mean you have to make a copy of whatever you have on your NAS to another hard drive? If so, you had to have a, let say, another 1TB hard drive to save these data?

Anything after the "back-up" process I can do it... e.g. deleting Raid, rebuild a new Raid, etc...

Thank you for your information anyway.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »

You should have a backup always.  Don't learn this lesson the hard way.

In the other hand if you replace the 1 TB for a new 2TB set (following the instructions in post 4), you don't need to delete the data.

You can mount the disks in a PC running Linux or a special Windows software and then copy the data to the Linkstation.

dyp110625

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »

To get a full capacity of your 2x2TB you must create a new array. rebuill array will not give you full capacity. Before creat a new array you must delete the old array. Delete array will delete data on  disks. My case, I just copy the data from old array to my USB disk  and then copy it back to new array. From my experience, using USB on my computer will transfer data faster than using USB port on NAS.

If you do from a blank disks, you just need to put the disks to NAS, format disk and then create array.

jamesnb

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:51 AM »

Thanks for you info.

Just ask if you know any "specific" Windows software that are able to read Data from NAS hard-drive? I know it's a Linux-based file structure but I do not have any Linux-based computer around...

I shall completely remove my pair of 1TB HDD, and replace them with a pair of 2TB. And I guess that I shall make a copy from 1TB to 2TB via Windows-based, using the spcific software that allow me to do so, if any...

dyp110625

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »

"Just ask if you know any "specific" Windows software that are able to read Data from NAS hard-drive"

I am sorry, I got lost. Are you using NAS with your window computer right now?? 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 04:27:22 AM »
dyp110625 wrote: LS- WXL original setup RAID1 2x1TB capacity 917.1GB which is OK. Long story sort: - Replace first 1TB hard drive by one 1.5TB hard drive, rebuild array - Replace 2nd 1TB hard drive by one 2TB hard drive, rebuild array. Everything is working fine, except the capacity is still at 917.1GB. I expect the capacity would be at the level of RAID1 2x1.5TB which must be more than 917.1GB. I think I am missing some thing. Please some one guide me the correct step by step to do it. Thank ___________________________________________________________ Once this is done you need to completely delete and recreate the RAID before the new capacity will show.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!