Author Topic: RSync and Linkstation Live  (Read 4877 times)

dpatel20

• Calf
RSync and Linkstation Live
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »
   Hi All -

Just received my new LS Live (LS-CH640L) yesterday. I would like to backup my laptop using RSync. However, no matter what I've tried I can't get RSync to connect to my LS Live. I've tried with & without SSH. Is there a way for me to use RSync so I only copy across incremental changes rather than everything?!

I only want to do this at home whilst connected to my router (so not required to work over the internet).

Thanks!
Message Edited by dpatel20 on 04-03-2009 04:25 AM
Message Edited by dpatel20 on 04-03-2009 04:25 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: RSync and Linkstation Live
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
The Memeo software that came with the unit should work with most if not all of our devices and is also available for Mac. However, I don't know what OS you're running nor what firmware version is on the NAS. Could you please provide this information?

dpatel20

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:03 AM »

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have just update to v1.07 firmware.

I run both Windows (XP & Vista) and also Linux. Ideally I'd like to be able to incremental backups for both my Windows and Linux machines hence thought of RSync.

Does Memeo do incremental backups or does it just copy everything each time?

(I might be able to get Memeo to install under wine in Linux).

dpatel20

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:07:21 AM »

OK, I found a solution when looking for an answer to using Partimage with the LS Live over the network. So I thought I'd post the solution here in case someone finds it useful. This applies to Ubuntu/Linux. There maybe a similar way of doing this in Windows but I've tried it.

1. Install smbfs:

sudo apt-get install smbfs

2. Make a temp directory - you can obviously choose any name/location for this directory

sudo mkdir /rsynctemp

3. Mount the LS Live shared folder to the directory you create in Step 2 using smbfs:

sudo mount -t smbfs -o lfs,username=admin //192.168.X.XX/share /rsynctemp

You will prompted for a password if applicable.
You change the username, IP address & the shared folder name (in this case 'share') to suit your requirements.

4. You now rsync to /rsynctemp (or wherever you've created mount directory), example below:

rsync -r -v --progress --delete --ignore-existing /home -e ssh /rsynctemp

PS: You can use the same technique to use partimage except you would run partimage and use /rsynctemp/your_image_filename as the target. Thanks to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=287522&page=4

Hope it helps someone!

Message Edited by dpatel20 on 04-04-2009 10:09 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
Thanks for the solution dpatel20.