Author Topic: Need instructions to reset password on LinkStation Pro Duo  (Read 5006 times)

Huntsburger

• Calf
Need instructions to reset password on LinkStation Pro Duo
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:52 PM »

I have a one-year old LS-W1.0TGL/R1 1TB LinkStation Pro Duo, Firmware v1.02, that I need to reset because it will no longer accept the default  password, giving me the login error message "Either the User Name or Password is incorrect." There are a number of confusing posts on this topic, and I have tried all of the applicable solutions to no avail. I'll greatly appreciate it if someone will let me in on the secret. The back panel of my unit has a "Power" pushbutton, a two-position "Power Mode" switch, and a recessed "Reset" pushbutton in addition to the power, usb, and network connectors--nothing else.

Jason

• El Toro
Re: Need instructions to reset password on LinkStation Pro Duo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »
While your LS is on simply hold down the Reset button for a few seconds, you should then see some blinking lights on the front. Just wait until the power light is solid and it should be reset back to admin/password.

BCinNYC

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:23:59 AM »
   I have the same problem with the same unit (2 terabyte version).  Tried the reset - after some blinking, then blue power light, then normal power light - still cannot login as anything other than guest.

Huntsburger

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:06 PM »

Jason wrote:
While your LS is on simply hold down the Reset button for a few seconds, you should then see some blinking lights on the front. Just wait until the power light is solid and it should be reset back to admin/password.

Hello Jason,

Thanks for the speedy response. Unfortunately your suggestion does not cure my problem. I have tried the procedure in both power modes, restarting the unit between atttempts. At all times when I press the Reset button, I get a flashing red icon resembling a lower case letter "i" showing in the center of the translucent display, also the small green incon that looks like a pair of forward slashes "//" flashes at the bottom of the display. I take this to be a disk activity indicator.

It would be nice if the PDF manual included information about the display panel and the meaning of the symbols which appear there. In fact, other than showing the Reset button in the back panel illustration, the manual does not even acknowledge its existence, let alone describe the manner in which it is to be used

Bottom line: No joy. What now?

philmiami

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:21:03 AM »

:smileysad:

I have the same problem. It is a Linkstation Pro Duo 2 Terabyte.

I got it 2 days ago. Hooked it to me router,blah blah blah.

I left it on in AUTO, and usually I turn it off. When I got up the user id admin and the password password would NOT let me login. I have been playing with it. Done the button on the back, turned it off, done all this that is supposed to let me reset it back to defaults.

I bought this from Buy.com and thought it would be a good deal for the price. I used to work in IT/telecomm so I am not someone who is new to computers.

But I have been out of the field for a few years. I know things did not change this much in that amount of time. It is the thing just does not do as expected. A simple NAS for the home user. The user manuel does not show anything about reset,etc. I am disappointed with this. A simple RAID1 to keep stuff on.

I hope to find a fix for this or I will just have to return it and get my money back. I read reviews online and even thou this particular unit did not make it as "the one" , I thought it would be good for the buck. Now it makes me think that spending $500+ and making one would have been a better choice.

So I have been reading on here, and would hope someone would do this in easy step by step process for everyone to understand. Thanks, phil 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Did anyone who's having this problem try a force firmware reflash?