Author Topic: 320Gig HD-PET320U2 USB Issues, help!  (Read 1503 times)

clinton78

• Calf
320Gig HD-PET320U2 USB Issues, help!
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »

Hi guy's, I've got the above model of external hard drive. I noticed that the disc had failed to mount. So unplugged and replugged the cable. Now it comes up with an error message as follows: "A USB device needs more power. A USB device can't draw enough power to operate properly."

I've tried it on another PC and it says the same kind of error. I've tried different USB cables but still the same problem. 

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to solve. I have quite a lot of files on the drive that I could do without losing.

Many thanks for your time. :)

Clint

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: 320Gig HD-PET320U2 USB Issues, help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »

It is most likely a failure in the usb on the drive enclosure. The drive will need to be moved to a new enclosure.

clinton78

• Calf
Re: 320Gig HD-PET320U2 USB Issues, help!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »

Many thanks for the feedback. I have removed the drive from the casing as I suspected what you suggested to be the problem. The drive was spinning up fine and not clicking or anything. I'm awaiting the delivery of an IOMAX USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit so I can recover the files. The IOMAX adaptors look like a handy thing to have. If the drive turns out to be fine I'll just pick up another case. Lesson leant about backing up. :) Thanks Clint