Author Topic: 2tb Terastation Live power issue  (Read 2633 times)

JamieWnyc

• Calf
2tb Terastation Live power issue
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »
   A couple of months ago my Tersatation began shutting itself down intermittently (3 times in 4 weeks), developed E04 kernel issue that was fixed with firmware upgrade, but still shut itself down occasionally, never when I was around.  Last week shut itself down, and when I rebooted, went through error check, cycled through drives, but then hung on drive 1 with clicks every second or so (sounded like the 'click of death", ugh).  After speaking with Tech support an RMA was issued and I am awaiting new unit.  HOWEVER... I have since discovered that the UPS powering the Terastation had a faulty battery, and was supplying bad power.  I plugged the unit in elsewhere, and still got the clicking.  I pressed the power button to shut it down, but didn't hold it down log enough, so it stayed on - oddly, when I removed my finger from the power button, the clicking stopped and the unit was up and functioning perfectly.  It has not shut itself down in the 2 days since.  Hmmm, what to do now?  I have a new unit coming.  Do I assume that my unit is bad, transfer the data, and return mine?  Does anybody know why the power button might have stopped the clicking hard drive?  Many thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: 2tb Terastation Live power issue
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
That IS a very strange issue. Bad power can have all sorts of strange effects on computing devices of any kind. Pressing the power button may have helped nudge the hard drive arm off the problem sector, thus causing the click to stop. I would recommend at least replacing the problem drive since it does appear that something is wrong with it. Since you already have a unit on the way, if I was in that position, I would transfer the data to the replacement unit just as a precaution.