Author Topic: how to get the email notification to work  (Read 2209 times)

goosequeen

• Calf
how to get the email notification to work
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »

This is my next step.

I tried lots of settings.

godaddy smtp forwarding accounts that you get for each domain.

my hostgator pop email account.

I guess my port 25 has to be open on my ISP but it is not, either is 80 so not sure.

I have the linkstation live, latest firmware  (1.24) - LS-CH1.

what else should I try.

Thanks

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: how to get the email notification to work
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »

the email protocol is only available on these ports, there is no way to reconfigure this.  Have you tried calling your ISP to see if either they will oprn up port 25, or contacting your router and using NAT to redirect to a completely different port.  These are other possible options to consider

beb319

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »

I had the same problem, my ISP closed the open SMTP port I was using then I was toast.  Stopped getting my daily status emails, and discovered there was no way to even pull the logs off my LS Pro Duo through the http I/F.  What a hunk of junk!  LS Pro Duo does not support authentication, so no way for me to do that.  My ISP told me to go pound sand, the port was closed.  So in a lurch, I have a NAS, Raid 1, want to know what's going on and the only way to find out is to check the stupid lights every once in a blue moon (the NAS is in the basement, don't even make it down often).  Called Buffalo and asked would there be an update to support authentication and they laughed.  This company stinks.  So, I got as far as trying to setup a relayhost on my linux system so the emails could go to it then it would relay out to my ISP with authentication info att'd.  Had it all setup on the linux side, then discovered the POS Buffalo does not support IP addresses, only DNS format (xxx.com).  So, my linux box obviously doesn't have that, now I'd have to setup a dns server on my linux box.  I just gave up at that point as I got disinterested, kept hoping my stinkin NAS would somehow just manage to keep plugging along (in an air-conditioned room), but alas - as I would expect from a Buffalo POS it died after just having it about 2 years.  Called Buffalo, they walked me through the "steps" to see if I could recover, but I could not.  Could not see it on the network.  Now I have a dead NAS, can't talk to it, don't know if the drives are good (had them setup as RAID 1), and Buffalo tells me I'm pretty much on my own they don't support it anymore.  To make a long story short, after a lot of research, bought a USB/SATA enclosure for $20, tried to get to it from windoze, found out one drive was dead, could not get to the data in windoze, found out it was formatted as an XFS filesystem from our fine friends at Buffalo, and after a lot of reading settled on a solution that worked on the 1st try!  So I recovered all my data!  The steps for the solution are under another post I made on this forum (how to recover XFS data in Windows".  Hint - you can't do it, I had to use my Ubuntu system.

daspoon

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »
Notification: enable
SMTP Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port No.: 587
Authentication Type: login(smtp-auth)
POP3 Server Address:
POP3 Port No.:
SSL/TLS: tls
enter gmail account email address in full and password