Author Topic: Terastation Live will not boot  (Read 3987 times)

arch113

• Calf
Terastation Live will not boot
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »

Model  HS-DHTGL/R5

Of course, its now out of warranty, and this is my 3rd or 4th replacement.

I can no longer access the device, I would like to access my shares long enough to copy my files off of there, then it can blow up for all i care.

Sometimes it boots into a nice beeping E04 error, sometimes it looks like it boot up right, gets an IP addy and all, but the diskplay says EM MODE no ARRAY INFO.  I can ping the device, but I can't access the shares, or web console. NAS NAVI sees the device, but thats it.  I have flashed the firmware several times, using all the steps I have read in other messages here.

This unit has 4 500 gig HD's setup in RAID 5

Thanks

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: Terastation Live will not boot
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:42:12 PM »

Have you run the Nas Navigator yet?

Can you see the firmware?

arch113

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
   Yes I ran the NAVI software, it 'sees' the device, never displays the firmware version (all dashes)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »

Ok,

The first thin to do would be to try flashing the firmware to it using the force update proceedure shown here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=34939#M277

Be careful when doing the force update.  If you check rebuild partition table  your data will be wiped out.

If that isn't successful than you can try the TFTP boot here: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=330&query.id=34945#M330

Though you shouldn't need to do that because your unit is showing up in the Navigator

arch113

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »

Already tried those, same results.  I am able to force update the firmware and TFTP, but the unit will not boot correctly. 

If what you say is true, that force update wipes my data, then I am already screwed.  I don't have a desire to bring this back to life so I can use the until again, I have no intentions on ever using this for my data again, all I want was to be able to get what data I did have on there copied to something else.

arch113

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:25 PM »
   Am I SOL?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

It will only delete your data if you checked "rebuild partition table".

IF you just want the data back, you can download UFS Exlorer (just google it, it costs about 50$ for the liscence) and recover your data that way.

Or

You can hook up the HDDs to a linux computer (XFS format) and pull your data off that way.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 04-01-2009 02:42 PM

arch113

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »

Will I have to conenct all 4 drives at once, or can I plug in one drive at a time (SATA to USB cable)?  Since I had it setup RAID5 I didn't think I would be able to jsut pull the information off the drive itself.

Thank you for your time.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »
you need to connect at least 3 drives at once

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »

Make sure your Terastation is in RAID 5 before continuing. 

Get a PC system or 4x USB to SATA/IDE that can support minimum 5 SATA ports. (1x local HDD, 4x for Buffalo HDDs)

Boot Up into Windows

Plug all 4 hdds into computer systems. 

Use this program called UFS Explorer.

On the left hand colum you should be able to see the 4 hdds with 4 partitions each.

On the top, goto TOOLS and then click on Build Virtual RAID array.

Choose RAID Array on Disk Partitions (NT LDM, Linux soft raid) then click Next.

Another windows will open up, where you can choose which partitions to add to re-create the Raid 5.

Select the biggest partition in the individual Buffalo hdds with stating Linux Native partitions

Yours should be abt 500+gb.

Select it then click on Add.

Make sure you have 4 partitions with the biggest capacity and in Linux Native.

At the bottom in RAID Mode, choose Striped & Parity (RAID 5) then for Strip Size, choose 64kb

After everythings ok, click on Build.

Wait awhile then on your left column, you will see at the end of list, a softraid will appear.

Right-click on it and select fast-detect.

You will see all data that you have stored in the Terastation before.

Right-click and copy the data out to another location with more than 71gb in size.