Author Topic: VERY slow (95k/s) write speeds... help!  (Read 1572 times)

everest3

• Calf
VERY slow (95k/s) write speeds... help!
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:31:28 PM »

Hello:

I am getting very slow write speeds to my Terastation TS-XE4.0. I have attempted several scenarios:

(1) copying from an external USB drive, connected directly to the terastation, on to the internal terastation drive.

(2) copying from a networked computer on the to the terastation drive.

(3) RAID5 configuration

(4) RAID0 configuration

The RAID0 configuration did up the write speeds to 180K/s.... but this is still unacceptably slow. My device shipped with firmware 1.41 -- I reset the device and updated to 1.5 in an attempt to solve the problem, but I am still seeing the same abysmally slow write speeds. Can ANYONE please help?? 

Thanks,

Mark

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: VERY slow (95k/s) write speeds... help!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

Did you go to system, then restore/erase and choose restore? And have you tried plugging it directly into a pc with a gigabit connection? And have you tried using a different ethernet cable? 

everest3

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »

Thanks very much for your response.

(a) yes, I went to system --> restore. I also update the firmware, rebuilt the raid array as a RAID 0 array (thought maybe RAID 5 was just REALLY slow...)

(b) I have not yet plugged in to PC directly. We are on a gigabit network at the office, however I will double check to ensure

(c) I will attempt to use a different ethernet if (b) still does not produce adequate speeds.

The terastation is at my office -- so I won't be able to try these out until Monday. But I will post here after trying it out!

Thanks,

Mark

everest3

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »

OK, so I have connected the Terastation directly to my computer.... and the write speeds are now substantially faster (~12-15 MB/s, which is perfectly acceptable for our purposes).

Now here's the question: I have two ethernet ports in the computer I'm using as my dataserver -- the Terastation is connected to one, and the corporate doman is connected to the other. Any idea how I can share the Terastation with the rest of the domain...?

Thanks!

- Mark

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »

I doubt that you can and we would not support it here. 

everest3

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »

Also:

Any ideas why, when the terastation is connected to the corporate domain, we're getting write speeds of 95 k/s... but a direct connection is 150x faster at around 15 Mb/s??

I know there are some ineffeciences with the larger network... but I would expect that we could still get acceptable write speeds when connected to domain. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

everest3

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »

OK -- well then any idas on why it performs so abysmally when connected to a domain?