Author Topic: how to get linkstation live to serve music playlist?  (Read 5950 times)

johan_buffalo

• Calf
how to get linkstation live to serve music playlist?
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:21:10 PM »

I just bought a Libkstation live and make it becomes my netwrok printer server and storage.  As a bonus, it even serve music to my DLNA YAMAHA receiver.  Artist list, album list, everything works, but it won't serve playlist created from Window media player.  What list format does Linkstation Live server?  

TIA 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: how to get linkstation live to serve music playlist?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
Currently there is no play list, I will suggest this feature request to our corporate office.

johan_buffalo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »

It will be a nice feature that Linkstation able to generate playlist itself. :)

In any case, based on my own home experiments, Linkstation does recognize 2 file extensions generated by WMP player as playlist.  One is .asx and another is .m3u.  Although Linkstation will intend to serve them through PC-CAST, Linkstation can't locate the music file generated by WMP.  I had to make some modification to the file itself for Linkstation to read them properly.  So far, I can only use relative path for them to work...  Do you know what is absolute path name for root folder refered by Linkstation Live's during PC-CAST? 

The-Mailman

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:18:52 AM »

Can you explain modifications you did to get playlists to work as this is annoying I want to get the music onto the Linkstation but without playlist function and a large music libray its just not a workable solution

Thanks

johan_buffalo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »

Sure.  It actually work for me pretty good now, as long the list is modified.  The steps are:

1.  Save WMP playlist to m3u extension.  It is a option that supported by window media player and Linkstation treats it as playlist.  .asx extension is too complicate to be modified.  The playlist should be placed on your designated PC_CAST folder or suborders.  Linkstation will find it automatically.

2. Use any text editor to edit your m3u playlist. You need to change all absolute path to relative path.  For example: \\LinkstationXXX\music_folder\your_music to the format like music_folder\your_music.  Path name varies depend on where you place your music playlist.  If necessary, use [..] to go up on the folder tree. use [..\..] will move the folder pointer to two level above your playlist folder.  It can be automatically replaced using any text editor in a couple seconds,

3. Since m3u is microsoft format, it has to be Buffalo's fault.  WMP write out m3u folder tree using [\], yet the Linkstation read folder tree ladder using [/].  A bug on Buffalo's side for sure.  So open the text editor again, and replace all [\] to [/]. It will take another couple seconds.

4. Now save the edited list and update PC-CAST list. The playlist will now be served by Linkstation live and playable by any DLNA network player.  In my case, it is the YAMAHA A/V receiver.

By the way, my Linkstation live firmware is 1.02 and it works very good.  No idea it will work for other f/m version.  My playlist is currently has 185 songs and 14+ hours music content.

Enjoy!

johan_buffalo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »
   I don't have PS3.  But I bet it is the same problem that prevents Linkstation to serve playlist to PS3.