Author Topic: Virus protection for shared folders  (Read 1918 times)

ezzaman

• Calf
Virus protection for shared folders
« on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »
Hi All,

We have a Linkstation LS-WXL and have recently found a couple of viruses/malware that has reproduced hundreds of times in one of the shared folders open for webaccess.

Our ESET antivirus on one of the networked PCs detected it in one folder, as it had the linkstation as a mapped drive. I am now running a scan with Malwarebytes on the shared folders, I have discovered that there are hundreds of occurrences of the offending objects found so far.

The shared folder had some security restrictions in place, (3 passworded accounts), but this doesn't seem to have stopped the threat. I have had open access on some of the folders at times when I was experimenting with the setup, but applied the restrictions not long after. The dates on the objects seem to be well after the restrictions were applied, although its possible the original infection may have taken place before the restrictions were enabled. If so, how did they reproduce when they have only been found within directories on the Linkstation? I've done a scan of most of the PCs on the network, (which are realtime protected by ESET).

The two objects that are infecting the folders are :

Threat/Object name
Trojan.BitCoinMiner / photo.scr
Trojan.Agent.VBS / info.zip

I have disabled WebAccess for now and will remove the threats when the scan has finished. I think having the WebAccess ports open may have been

Has anyone any recommendations for keeping the system clean, whilst running WebAccess? Running Malwarebytes or virus scans over the network from a networked windows machine doesn't really seem to be the best way. I know there is a antivirus product on the Terastations (TrendMicro NAS Security) but is there anything available for the Linkstations?

I can't seem to find anything on these forums or BuffaloNas Central.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:21:49 AM by ezzaman »