Author Topic: LS-CH1.0TL Pain - Updates and Webaccess  (Read 1921 times)

itsthemeds

• Calf
LS-CH1.0TL Pain - Updates and Webaccess
« on: February 08, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »

Okay, I have bought Buffalo products in the past and am always amazed at the price point, but I keep forgetting about the dismal, no, make that abysmal, support.  Come on guys, hire some techies that can problem solve.

My story starts with a great price on an LS-CH1.0TL network nas drive.  WoHo!  I take it home and hook it up (without looking at the manual - this one is my fault) to my gigabit home network (not bragging, it becomes important later) with netgear gigabit router, and flip the switch -- to auto, because auto would be a power savings mode right? I then run upstairs and slide the disk into a win7 box and start the install process.  After a very odd install cycle it finally gets to the point where it searches for the nas drive.  Can't find it.  Hmmm.  Well, okay, read the manual.  Oh, auto IS a power saving mode, but a very odd power savings mode where the client must be installed and running before the drive will spin up -- and, turn off windows firewall (well, okay)..  Alright, back downstairs, turn it off and then turn it on to ON, not auto.  Run back upstairs turn off firewall, and yep, sure enough, it's recognized.

Now the fun starts.  Ahh, the firmware is old.  Let's update to the newest version.  Download the updater, run it WITH THE FIREWALL TURNED OFF, and get an ACP_STATE_FAILURE message.  I start reading the manual and the forums and it appears that  you're suppose to run some crazy java program in the command box.  How can that be????  Getting ready to put it back in the box and return it when I remembered that the manual had said if using a gigabit network set the frames to jumbo, so I did.  The largest jumbo option.  Hmmm, just maybe if I set the framerate back to default...  Yep, that did it.  Worked fine when updating at the default frame rate.  Later I learn that my pathetic gigbit network does allow jumbo frames, just the smallest of the jumbo options.  There was NOT ONE thing in the manual or on all the forum that pointed back to this solution, just some crazy ACP_COMMANDER stuff.

Great, things are going well.  I'm transferring files, setting permissions.  Looks good.  Sooo, lets move on to webaccess!!!  Hey this is neat!  I get a free buffalonas.com internet name!  I click the button and get ,"Error accessing BuffaloNas.com, check internet settings."  Two hours later, I find the solution to be some combination of the following:

1.  Use a static IP and set the first DNS address to the home router, and the second to a web DNS address like google's 8.8.8.8.

2.  REBOOT the nas using the client (it's under maintenance I believe).  THE REBOOT IS A MUST.

3.  If you have a netgear router (or apparently any other that says it supports upnp, just ignore it.  Buffalo says it will work with this but probably won't.  Instead use the advanced webaccess option, use buffalo.nas, do not use https, use a weird name for your nas, set a password (stop calling it a key please -  i'm looking all over for a piece of paper in the box with a key - it's just a password), set the external and internal port to 9000, because  otherwise it gets beyond confusing, set your router to port forward port 9000 to the nas ip address, cross your fingers and you should have success.  If not try rebooting the nas one more time.  

I just spent 4 hours of my life configuring a system that should have been plug and play.  I saved $20 over the closest competitor.  Is it worth your time?  You decide.  I like the results, I'm just so frustrated with the poor documentation.  

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CH1.0TL Pain - Updates and Webaccess
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »

We have 24/7/365 free phone support in the USA and Canada.

If you are having any trouble setting up one of our products - please call and let us assist with setup.

itsthemeds

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »

And that's just what I want to do, talk to first tier support in india.  No thanks.  And by the way, I'm now I'm having what I call "going south" moments.  The nas works fine until something happens -- who know what -- and then it's a trip to the basement to cycle it.  And, no, I DO not have it switched to auto!  I did have it go to sleep in the middle of the night, and it might be a result of that.  I've turned sleep off for now and will let you all know what happens with the going south moments.

Oh well, one must hope, just ask Obama.  Results are optional it appears.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

I'm not in India. I'm an American living in Chicago. If you don't want help to fix your issue then thats fine. But If you do you can call us and we will help you with your issue. 

itsthemeds

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »

Wow, if I was in charge of Buffalo support, YOU would be fired, and here is the reason.  I posted that I was having problems with the device not coming back on line, and that I had messed around with the sleep settings.  After I posted that, I searche, and seraches, and found the cause.  While the "go to sleep" setting understands time zones, some second grader from a third world economy was appearnetly hired to write the code for the "return from sleep" function, and it is written forthe Japanese time zone only.  This was pointed out over two months ago, and Buffalo has yet to post the firmeare to correct the problem.  Now, YOU as moderator KNOW PERFECTLY WELL about the problem, but you attack me for my comments and leave me sitting with a known problem.  

IN MY WORLD, YOU"RE FIRED!  You are more worried about yourself than you are with supporting Buffalo Tech products.  Of course you will run across abrasive users like me.  If you can't jump that hurdle and think about Buffalo first, you certainly don't deserve a Buffalo paycheck.

Comeon, Buffalo Japan, let's shake this organization up.  

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »

itsthemeds wrote:

Wow, if I was in charge of Buffalo support, YOU would be fired, and here is the reason.  I posted that I was having problems with the device not coming back on line, and that I had messed around with the sleep settings.  After I posted that, I searche, and seraches, and found the cause.  While the "go to sleep" setting understands time zones, some second grader from a third world economy was appearnetly hired to write the code for the "return from sleep" function, and it is written forthe Japanese time zone only.  This was pointed out over two months ago, and Buffalo has yet to post the firmeare to correct the problem.  Now, YOU as moderator KNOW PERFECTLY WELL about the problem, but you attack me for my comments and leave me sitting with a known problem.  

IN MY WORLD, YOU"RE FIRED!  You are more worried about yourself than you are with supporting Buffalo Tech products.  Of course you will run across abrasive users like me.  If you can't jump that hurdle and think about Buffalo first, you certainly don't deserve a Buffalo paycheck.

Comeon, Buffalo Japan, let's shake this organization up.  

Well in my world you're an a*shole*, he offered help and all he gets is abuse from you. The issue has been acknowledged and a fix will be released in due course.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

One more time:

We have 24/7/365 free phone support in the USA and Canada.

If you are having any trouble setting up one of our products - please call and let us assist with setup.

The support team is just outside Chicago, IL, USA

The USA corporate HQ is in Austin, Tx

For USA product support, we don't use a support team outside of the USA.

The sleep function fix is coming shortly in a future revision of firmware.