Author Topic: firmware forcing onto a new hard-drive  (Read 4778 times)

toyotabybay

• Calf
firmware forcing onto a new hard-drive
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »

Hello,

Great forum & excellent sticky 'Force Firmware update procedure' post!

Buffallo linkstation live : hs-dh320gl

Currently - Seagate 320Gb Hard-drive is failing.

Question: Can I buy any new (blank) hard-drive of the same brand, size, etc. And, will any other brand or size (e.i. 500GB or 1TB) hard drives, bought say from Frys or anywhere, work with simple firmware forcing?

Lastly, does firmware forcing includes the login interface: http://<ip address> ?

Thank you

Message Edited by toyotabybay on 08-10-2009 07:49 PM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: firmware forcing onto a new hard-drive
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

Speed and size is all that matters when replacing a HDD.

A force firmware update usually won't affect the web interface.  It can with certain units but even then it is only a feature addition.

toyotabybay

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

Does this mean that I can not just buy say this 2TB  or this 1TB Seagate hard-drive from Frys(the only difference is the size - as far as I can tell)?

And, does this also mean that the web interface is not a built-in feature to the firmware? And, can it be installed later.

Regarding installing a new & blank (=void of any buffalo applications) - is there a list of steps one need to take for the installation?

Just an FYI: everything here is related to forcing a Buffalo firmware to a new & blank hard-drive (i dont know if Buffalo sells those Seagate hard-drives separately) & Not about firmware upgrading.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »

"Does this mean that I can not just buy say this 2TB  or this 1TB Seagate hard-drive from Frys(the only difference is the size - as far as I can tell)?"

Larger is fine but I wouldn't use larger than double the intended size.

"And, does this also mean that the web interface is not a built-in feature to the firmware? And, can it be installed later."

Not sure how you deduced this from what I said but the web interface is definately part of the firmware.  The firmware is on the disks and the interface is part of the firmware.

"Regarding installing a new & blank (=void of any buffaloapplications) - is there a list of steps one need to take for theinstallation?"

Put the new HDD in and use the TFTP solution to force flash the firmware onto the unit.  All of the directions for this are stickied.

"Just an FYI: everything here is related to forcing a Buffalo firmwareto a new & blank hard-drive (i dont know if Buffalo sells thoseSeagate hard-drives separately) & Not about firmware upgrading."

Right, sorry, didn't even look at the unit before responding.   :smileytongue:

Jason_Guru

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »

Does forcing the firmware reset the password to default?

I got a drive that I can't login. So if I wipe the drives and force a firmware will this allow me to login?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:47:30 AM »

Its possible, if you don't care about the data just check the option to rebuild partition table, if you do have data on the unit just try "delete user config data".