Author Topic: Possible to configure WLI-TX4-G54HP as AP or Repeater  (Read 2750 times)

WorBry

• Calf
Possible to configure WLI-TX4-G54HP as AP or Repeater
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

Hi,

I'm new to the forums.

Just wondering if it is possible to configure/modify the WLI-TX4-G54HP Ethernet Converter (bridge) to work as an AP or Repeater.

In my current home network, the gateway (modem/router) is a Bell Sympatico 2Wire. The 2Wire is located in my basement (connected to a dedicated ADSL line) and I have wired (underfloor) connections to several PC's and a printer. On the upper floors I am relying on wireless G coverage. The 2Wire wireless G signal is not that strong any way and obviously is further impeded in it's current location. I had a WHR-HP-G54 Air Station and  WLI-TX4-G54HP from a previous network set-up. So decided to disable the 2Wire wireless (does not have WDS capability) and use the WHR-HP-G54 as a remote AP. Works well. The WLI-TX4-G54HP I am using solely as a wired switch, which seems a shame if there is any possibility of modifying it to work as an additional AP or WDS Repeater in tandem with the WHR-HP-G54. 

Is this possible, with or without the aid of DD-WRT or Tomato? I have zero experience with these alternate firmwares.

Edit: If this is not possible, one other thing that concerns me (maybe unfounded) is that, whilst using the WLI-TX4-G54HP purely as a switch, the wireless is still on. Obviously the WHR-HP-G54 is now set to a static IP on the 2Wire network whilst the WLI-TX4-G54HP is at factory default (1.1.1.1). But I am wondering if there is any possibility of signal interference between the two units (I notice that the wireless LED`s blink simultaneously at times). If so, is there any way to (reversibly) disable the wireless on the WLI-TX4-G54HP ?

Thanks alot.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Possible to configure WLI-TX4-G54HP as AP or Repeater
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »

This does not transmit wireless. It only receives wireless networks

WorBry

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

Ok, thanks for your quick reply. It was just a thought.

Obviously, in retrospect, I wish I'd bought two WHR-HP-G54 at the time.

WorBry

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »

And yet I've come across this:

https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=137352&sid=080aa953e2babfad303d6a3ae8d727c4

Seems from this that it is possible to convert the WLI into a bridge-repeater ????