Author Topic: TS duo vs. ES and raid 1 vs raid 5  (Read 2447 times)

Michael88

• Calf
TS duo vs. ES and raid 1 vs raid 5
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »

Hello there.   

Have a TS ES with 4 HD 500 GB set up in RAID5 (1.4 TB) at my wife's office with extra HD ready to go in event of one drive failure.   I was planning on buying a second server TS Duo (2 x 2TB) in RAID1 for our home.   That way, I can backup the work data and vice versa and have movies, pics, music,  personal data etc etc on the home NAS.   the most important thing is to be able to have another backup of the work TS.   (so the home nas would serve double duty)   

Question:  I was going to go with the RAID1 TS Duo but now am thinking about just going with another TS ES RAID5 with 4 TB for the home NAS.   I do plan on using Remote access (FTP) and webaccess with the home NAS adn would potenially want to stream movies and music in a few years when my kids are older.  

What do you all think???   RAID 1 or 5 at home.   TS duo with 2 drive mirror  or TS ES (4 drive)   Perhaps it really doesn't matter.   Both will end up being about the same price - 460- 520 so no big deal on the price.  

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.       Michael 

Michael88

• Calf
Re:ahhhhhhhh another possibility
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »

I suppose i could get another TS ES with 4 TB total and set it up to be RAID 1 mirroring    -    would that give me a bit more speed (I and O) if streming or remotely accessing?   

Also, rather than a 2 drive TS Duo with Raid 1, I would have a 4 drive system in the TS ES with raid 1   

just another option.    Again, thank you for your input.  

michael 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Re:ahhhhhhhh another possibility
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:24 AM »

you can only use RAID1 with 2 HDDs, not 4.

Personally i would go for the ES because of its greater RAID options.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Michael88

• Calf
Re: good point
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »

So maybe just stick with Terastation es with four drives in raid5.     However, do you think that a raid 1 with would be faster for remote access and streaming of video or pics or music?     

Again.   Thanks for your input.     Michael

Michael88

• Calf
Re: Raid 10
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »

I could use raid10 (4 disks) with TS ES but would give up disk space.   

Not sure if it would be worth it.     Again, I do plan on streming video and am still wondering if in this scenerio it is worth it to try mirroring (raid 1 or 10) vs raid 5.   would the access steaming feed really be that different??????

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Raid 10
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »

Michael88 wrote:

I could use raid10 (4 disks) with TS ES but would give up disk space.   

Not sure if it would be worth it.     Again, I do plan on streming video and am still wondering if in this scenerio it is worth it to try mirroring (raid 1 or 10) vs raid 5.   would the access steaming feed really be that different??????

While RAID10 is technically "slower" you actually would hardly notice the difference while streaming in a real world enviroment.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Michael88

• Calf
now a backup question
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

ok,   so now I know i will just get another TS ES 4 drive 4 x 1tb RAID 5 system (520 bucks) just like I have at her office  and duplicated that at home (350 miles away)   

SO, can I set it up so that all the office stuff gets backed up on the new TS at my house?????

I am not quite sure how to do that (and yes I have been searching the forums)    michael

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: now a backup question
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »

You would need to setup a VPN between the 2 sites. Not exactly ideal, especially if one is a business network and the other is a home network.

Michael88

• Calf
Re: VPN
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »

Thanks Davo for all your answers and help (you must be the only person on this forum)

So, using the target IP address with port forwarding on the home TS would not work?   Another option is to manually back up data at work, send hard drive or thumb drive to home via fed ex/usps and manually back up to home TS.   

Ideally, having realtime backup or nightly backups would be great but that (per you) would require VPN.  Total data on work TS is now about 60-70 GB   (1.32 GB remaining free on work TS)

Again, I will use the home TS as a back up of work BUT also home movies, pictures, music etc etc and use the home TS (which must have greater capacity than the work TS) as cloud.   

michael     

thanks again for taking the time to help me.