Author Topic: WHR-HP-GN router to wired wcr-gn access point/router  (Read 3198 times)

nathanep

• Calf
WHR-HP-GN router to wired wcr-gn access point/router
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:59:24 AM »

Hello all, I applogize if this has been covered before, I didn't readily find it with the search.

I have a whr-hp-gn router, connected to a cable modem, that is running wireless as well as wired connections, in a wiring closet.

I have a cat6 connection to my office on the other side of the house, which does get a wireless signal, though it is weak and unstable.  In the office I have a switch that splits the cat6 connection to a few computers and printers. My hope is to use the wcr-gn I just bought, plug it into the cat6 wall jack and use it as a wired switch, as well as an access point/repeater for the wireless network on the whr-hp-gn.

I've tried setting this up, but from what I can tell it only wants to work in bridge mode with the wds setting, over wireless connected to the main router. I'd prefer to use the wired connection as it's faster, and keep the same wireless ssid to extain the main network. Is this possible?

I have some port forwarding,vpn, static ip's etc set up on the main router that I would like to preserve, so I don't want the wcr-gn running dhcp or any other function really other than acting as a switch and wireless repeater.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice.  Using the wds aoss config is a pain and seemed to only cause problems with my existing wireless connections.

nathanep

• Calf
Re: WHR-HP-GN router to wired wcr-gn access point/router
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:02:06 PM »

Yes, the cat 6 runs directly back to the whr-hp-gn, so they are on the same network.

I guess what I was confused about, is the wcr-gn going to be running a seperate wireless network from teh whr-hp-gn, or is it just extending the signal. Can I skip the whole wds set up since I'm doing this as a wired connection between the routers?

And just to clarify, you said to plug the cat 6 into the Lan port, I was thinking I should be using the wan port, or does the wan port just become another 2 way port on the switch when it's in bridge mode?

gordonkwan

• Calf
Re: WHR-HP-GN router to wired wcr-gn access point/router
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

I've a similar setup, I've setup the wired bridge. The LAN portion works. When I tried using my laptop to connect wireless to WCR-HP-GN, it does not get any IP.

What is the problem here?

UTP connection works perfectly.