Author Topic: Degraded array on LS520 but no light on failed drive  (Read 492 times)

MNBob

• Calf
Degraded array on LS520 but no light on failed drive
« on: November 05, 2021, 01:49:16 PM »
I have an l12 error on a Linkstation LS520 with 2 drives.  However, the hard drive LED does not indicate a failed drive.  It shows ARRAY 1 as RAID1, Degraded.  It shows Drive 2 as RAID1 but shows Drive 1 as unformatted.  Is there a problem with drive 1 or not? 

doobre

• Tatanka
Re: Degraded array on LS520 but no light on failed drive
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »
I had similar situ.. where the raid was degraded and no sign of which disc if any was at fault.. in the end I took the bullet and did a complete reformat and rebuild of the raid. backed up data first cos it will be lost... long story short after reformatting both disks and after rebuilding (takes many many hours > much much longer than the manual suggests) the raid it all works fine and no sign of degraded raid for mote than a months daily use..
cheers CD
user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

MNBob

• Calf
Re: Degraded array on LS520 but no light on failed drive
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 08:56:04 AM »
I restarted the LS520 and still had a degraded message.  Same flashing light without a hard drive light to indicate which drive to replace.  I left it alone so I could do more research.  When I returned to the customer site 3 days later, the light was no longer flashing and it no longer showed "Degraded".  Tech support for these products is nearly non-existent.  SMB is terrible.  I am seriously considering selling a different brand of NAS.  Buffalo seems to be indifferent to the issues and their response shows that all they want to do is sell you a new Terastation and that I should just throw away a 3 year old unit.  That does not work for my customers.