Author Topic: Copying from LS-QV8.-TL/R5 to LS441D0404 issues  (Read 1292 times)

putertechn

• Calf
Copying from LS-QV8.-TL/R5 to LS441D0404 issues
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »
I have two Buffalo devices, the LS-QV8.-TL/R5  F/W 1.56 8TB/Raid 5  and a LS441D0404  F/W 1.70 16TB/Raid 5 boxes.  I am running a Windows 7 Pro workstation.
I have had the LS-QV8 box for a while now, and it has always seemed to work quite well, including running a RoboCopy (microsoft utility ROBust File Copy) script to back up a 2 TB Raid 5 in a windows 2003 server.. never gave me trouble that I can remember.
So I wanted a second device to back that and my machines up to..so I got the LS441D box, and 4 WD Red 4TB drives.. and I have had nothing but trouble with this box since the day I first set it up.
I do a copy of a folder with a few Gigabytes worth of folders and it will just go offline.. cannot be found.. sometimes if I stop the copy and wait.. and wait.. and wait.. it will come back.. but other times it runs like crazy, like it is copying something but the network is quiet according to the switch right behind it.. not blinking lights..  and a couple times after wandering off for a bit and coming back to find it did not come back.. I have had to turn it off and back on..
This happens whether I used Robocopy, or map both the LS-QVL and the LS441 as drives L and M.. and just do a drag and drop copy from one share to the other share.. if it is more than a few hundred megabytes worth of files the M drive (LS441D) drops off the network, just stops talking to everyone else.. and they are all part of the same workgroup.. same DHCP server/gateway/subnet. 
I have deleted the share, recreated it.. even made it a public drive on our little network.. with file restrictions disabled, though the two of us were both members of the two users groups and the admins group.. still makes no difference..

I could sure use some help in figuring out this 16TB box.. I just want to copy the 8TB box to it and run my backups to it so we don't just have one copy of important things..  But right now this box is pretty much worthless to the network.