Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H Post 20025 Firmware Solution  (Read 163362 times)

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H Post 20025 Firmware Solution
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »
Hi all,

r24461 i have now tested for sometime without issue. Can be downloaded here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/buffalo_wzr_hp_g450h/

With regards to reverting, i covered this some pages ago, in addition, and as davo pointed out, there are plenty of wiki entries on this. Im not going to bloat the thread with duplicated information its pointless and will just anger the mods.

Apologies for my absence the past couple of months, the r24xxx series has been problematic as you can gather from reading the thread, and r24461 is the only release i've had running stable thus far.

Ive updated the FP for everyone accordingly

JCB

bohdee

• Calf
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »
Thank you by the support Jacob, some new thing about reach of Wi Fi in tais release?

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Hi Bohdee, Not really im afraid, as explained before, range is really down to the router environment, as the firmware only modifies the way the router runs, not actually changes the hardware you wont necessarily get any difference, for worse or better, simply by updating.

Most people having issues with wifi range, connection drop or poor performance generally haven't tailored their routers settings to the environment its sat in. Firmware generally wont change that unless there's a change to the "Factory Defaults" that just happen to improve things. Those improvements inherently could have been achieved on an old firmware with the right tailoring of settings unless the firmware genuinely adds a new setting or feature or algorithm that affects the radio controller...

As ive said from the FP, unless you need to update to fix a problem or access a new feature, there really isnt any point.

The 23919 release has all the same wireless advanced settings as the current 24461 release, and Tx Power, Antennae Gains, Timings, Channels and so forth can be tailored to your environment and desired range in the same way as the current revision.

Nonetheless, if you wish to upgrade other people using the same firmware is always good for testing and finding problems ;)

bohdee

• Calf
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
And if I buy a 12db antenna, I have some performance or will it be the same?

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
If you switch to 3x 12db antennae to replace the factory fitted 5db ones you can then increase the antennae gain to +12db under the advanced wireless settings.

Depending on the way you change other things this will allow you to either

A) Increase overall range
B) Improve stability and therefore burst throughput across the same range
C) Mixture of the above...

Ive not tried a antennae switch on this unit, only on my old G125, so let me know how you get on, i'd be very much interested to see what results you get with the G450H...

bohdee

• Calf
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
If you switch to 3x 12db antennae to replace the factory fitted 5db ones you can then increase the antennae gain to +12db under the advanced wireless settings.

Depending on the way you change other things this will allow you to either

A) Increase overall range
B) Improve stability and therefore burst throughput across the same range
C) Mixture of the above...

Ive not tried a antennae switch on this unit, only on my old G125, so let me know how you get on, i'd be very much interested to see what results you get with the G450H...

Surely let you know the results, my doubts would be increased gain in DB, some would have a hardware problem to increase the gain of the antennas from 5 to 12db? Or should I leave 5db?

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »
Generally, you can increase the Antennae Gain to the maximum allowed by the antennae. So +12db wouldn't be a problem if using 12dB antennae.

HOWEVER, be aware that the radio controller will run hotter, therefore shortening the life of the router. So i would recommend boosting the antennae gain +1db at a time until you reach a value between +6db and +12db that gives you the coverage that you want.

I think i mentioned in an earlier post that my G125 overheated and has a permanent browning of the plastic due to the thing overheating when antennae gain was set to high... (I think i went up to +32dB in a moment of "bigger is better" naivity)

Also bear in mind that some devices will not connect to a network if the signal is too strong either...

bohdee

• Calf
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips friend when minah antennas arrive I post the results. :)

pt0x

• Calf
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
Hi guys!

This is my first post here, but I have been using ddwrt for several years now. I own 2 of these routers (US version) one of those was successfully flashed to ddwrt community version  23919 and it has been working flawlessly for a couple of months now. However, this afternoon I decided to flash the second router using the r24461 wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin version (I had the factory ddwrt on the router installed) and the initial flash got trough but every time I try to flash the wzr_hp_g450h-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin or any other firmware version, all I get is a "failed upgrade" message on the browser. I already tried to clear the cookies and change the OS or browser without luck.

I tried to re-flash the stock firmware using the steps pointed out here:
http://blog.gnu-designs.com/solved-reflashing-your-buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-to-the-stock-firmware/

and here: (at the bottom)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH

I own an old lv ttl console usb adapter but it only works with WinXp and I no longer own any machine with this OS.

Anyone has any suggestions?.

BTW, thank you JacobD84  for creating this tread.

Pt0x

JaniN83

• Calf
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
Just posting that r24461 updated well and having no problems with it.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:18 AM »
I own 2 of these routers (US version) one of those was successfully flashed to ddwrt community version  23919 and it has been working flawlessly for a couple of months now. However, this afternoon I decided to flash the second router using the r24461 wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin version (I had the factory ddwrt on the router installed) and the initial flash got trough but every time I try to flash the wzr_hp_g450h-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin or any other firmware version, all I get is a "failed upgrade" message on the browser. I already tried to clear the cookies and change the OS or browser without luck.

Sorry to hear you are having problems pt0x, out of interest what was the reason for changing from 23919 to the 24461 release?
If you are already flashed successfully via the factory 24461 you shouldnt need to use the web-multi bin too as the router is already upgraded to 24461 so it will fail...
The web-multi releases are only for people who are already using DD-WRT firmware, the Factory is for people moving from Buffalo stock firmwares...

Or do you mean the router that already has 23919 wont upgrade to 24461 via the web-multi release?

My advice is if the 23919 router is working, don't change it and risk breaking it.
If the 24461 router has updated successfully just leave it as is and use it.

Alternatively, downgrade the 24461 router to match the 23919 router by uploading the 23919 firmware into the Administration --> Firmware Upgrade dialogue... Just make sure, as with all updates/downgrades you RESET to factory settings on update...

Glad to hear it all went well JaniN83
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:14:30 AM by JacobD84 »

pt0x

• Calf
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 10:16:23 AM »
I own 2 of these routers (US version) one of those was successfully flashed to ddwrt community version  23919 and it has been working flawlessly for a couple of months now. However, this afternoon I decided to flash the second router using the r24461 wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin version (I had the factory ddwrt on the router installed) and the initial flash got trough but every time I try to flash the wzr_hp_g450h-dd-wrt-webupgrade-MULTI.bin or any other firmware version, all I get is a "failed upgrade" message on the browser. I already tried to clear the cookies and change the OS or browser without luck.

Sorry to hear you are having problems pt0x, out of interest what was the reason for changing from 23919 to the 24461 release?
If you are already flashed successfully via the factory 24461 you shouldnt need to use the web-multi bin too as the router is already upgraded to 24461 so it will fail...
The web-multi releases are only for people who are already using DD-WRT firmware, the Factory is for people moving from Buffalo stock firmwares...

Or do you mean the router that already has 23919 wont upgrade to 24461 via the web-multi release?

My advice is if the 23919 router is working, don't change it and risk breaking it.

Alternatively, downgrade the 24461 router to match the 23919 router by uploading the 23919 firmware into the Administration --> Firmware Upgrade dialogue... Just make sure, as with all updates/downgrades you RESET to factory settings on update...

Hi Jacob!

Thanks for your prompt reply. What I meant is that I have 2 of these routers (WZR-HP-G450H), one has ddwrt and the other had the ddwrt factory firmware BUT I donīt think it had the 20025 version, I guess i had a much lower version than that. I believe my problem was originated after upgrading from factory version 18xxx to ddwrt comunity using the wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin. Since I didn't have the stock 20025, At some point I was stuck with the initial firmware that I couldn't change for any other, not even a lower version.

So in the end, I had to borrow an old laptop with WindowsXP in order to run the following de-brick procedure:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1331611/guide-recovering-a-bricked-buffalo-airstation-n450-router-wzr-hp-g450h

That allowed me to down grade the router to version  23919, BUT I got stuck again with a firmware that I couldn't change via web, the "failed upgrade" message persisted . Since I had the console cable connected I was able to see the kernel output, for some reason the router said that there was not enough memory to flash a new firmware, I tried many  firmwares and always got the same response. At that point I thought I had a bad block of memory or something, but somehow I decided to revert to stock 20025 via boot loader (my only option at that moment).

After I had the factory 20025 flashed in the router, I tried to flash the 23919 wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin via web, and the web-upgrade  finally worked!!!!. Since I had the console cable connected and everything setup to recover, I decided to use web-multi 24461, and the web upgrade also worked flawlessly.

My final advice for everyone is that before using any wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin version, make sure you have factory 20025 loaded before the upgrade, I think you should add this info in the first post for everyone to see.

Here's my de-brick setup:

Cheers!!

Pt0x

JustMeHere

• Calf
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
Upgraded to r24461
Reset: No << The first DD-WRT router I had would brick if I did reset, so I don't.
Web Flash via WIFI << DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, but I've always done it.

No problems.  Everything came back up after router reset without incident.

Concerning reported range problems:  I've noticed that despite the only other radio in range was on channel 6, the auto setting did not pick 1 or 11.   

To those who don't know:  There are really only three channels you should use with 2.4...1, 6, and 11.

Thanks Thread master.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:57:44 PM by JustMeHere »

JustMeHere

• Calf
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

Hi Jacob!

Thanks for your prompt reply. What I meant is that I have 2 of these routers (WZR-HP-G450H), one has ddwrt and the other had the ddwrt factory firmware BUT I donīt think it had the 20025 version, I guess i had a much lower version than that. I believe my problem was originated after upgrading from factory version 18xxx to ddwrt comunity using the wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin. Since I didn't have the stock 20025, At some point I was stuck with the initial firmware that I couldn't change for any other, not even a lower version.

So in the end, I had to borrow an old laptop with WindowsXP in order to run the following de-brick procedure:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1331611/guide-recovering-a-bricked-buffalo-airstation-n450-router-wzr-hp-g450h

That allowed me to down grade the router to version  23919, BUT I got stuck again with a firmware that I couldn't change via web, the "failed upgrade" message persisted . Since I had the console cable connected I was able to see the kernel output, for some reason the router said that there was not enough memory to flash a new firmware, I tried many  firmwares and always got the same response. At that point I thought I had a bad block of memory or something, but somehow I decided to revert to stock 20025 via boot loader (my only option at that moment).

After I had the factory 20025 flashed in the router, I tried to flash the 23919 wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin via web, and the web-upgrade  finally worked!!!!. Since I had the console cable connected and everything setup to recover, I decided to use web-multi 24461, and the web upgrade also worked flawlessly.

My final advice for everyone is that before using any wzr_hp_g450h-factory-to-ddwrt.bin version, make sure you have factory 20025 loaded before the upgrade, I think you should add this info in the first post for everyone to see.

Cheers!!

Pt0x

Hey man, a VM with WinXP or Linux can be a great workaround to the driver issue you had.  I've done this with microchips.   Though one time I did have to lower the baud rate to get a stable flash.  Or if your laptop has an ESATA port, just boot off of a drive connected to the ESATA port.  If you use a full size drive, it would actually be faster than a 2.5 HDD (not flash).  Another alternative is to boot off of a LiveOS Linux flavor.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:34:23 PM by JustMeHere »

JustMeHere

• Calf
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »
And if I buy a 12db antenna, I have some performance or will it be the same?

If you do do this, please monitor the temperature of your unit and report if it increases.  I have burned out a radio by having my settings too high.   It did take years though.