Author Topic: Rebuild Terastation WS from scratch? WSS key sticker still attached and legible  (Read 207 times)

JoeAsheville

• Calf
  • Trying vainly to avoid PEBKAC/ID10T errors...
Work was throwing out an older Terastation WS5400DN, so I nabbed it. Unfortunately it no longer has any drives. Does anyone have a schema for getting the machine back up and running after it's been repopulated with blank drives? I understand it had a USB stick when it was first delivered, but of course that's no longer available...

Strangely enough I'm more familiar with the voodoo required to get one of the TS5400s up and running, but I have no clue where to begin with one that uses Windows Storage Server.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
I use a few for backups/etc.

Rather than try to restore the EOL windows server version it came with I install Debian on them:
https://github.com/1000001101000/Debian_on_Intel_Terastations

ener_it

• Calf
Going to piggy back on this, but in kinda the same situation. No longer have the sd card with the re-install, but installed WSS on the unit.  Looking for an install package for the Buffalo software.
Thanks!

JoeAsheville

• Calf
How did you install WSS on the unit? Is it performing as expected, or is it missing expected functionality?

I'm kinda assuming that WSS is installed in a dedicated fashion by using the unit as a PC...but I'm interested in your experience in doing this.

ener_it

• Calf
I have a WSS ISO that I used to clean the vols/disk with diskpart before install. Then installed the OS on hdd0.  After getting OS installed I then used windows software raid to mirror the OS volume across 2 hdd. Then created a raid5 volume across all of the drives.  I am looking for the tools normally found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\BUFFALO folder that work with the Buffalo hardware/led display etc.

JoeAsheville

• Calf
It's looking more and more that the Debian route is the only way to go. I've reached out to other sources about the original firmware on USB and got crickets. If I'm reading correctly it appears that the Debian solution has been worked out to support at least SOME of the original functionality...which a reinstalled WSS solution apparently would NOT do.