Author Topic: Cant see LinkStationDuo in Network  (Read 1790 times)

ds_robb

• Calf
Cant see LinkStationDuo in Network
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »

Can anyone help with a frustrating problem please.   I have recently purchased a LinkStationDuo which works fine and dandy and on my desktop PC, I can see it it under Windows 7 Network.   I can click via this to it and can map drives etc.

On my laptop however, also running windows 7 - I can access the Linkstation via NASNavigator, I can even get at it via the direct IP address of 192.168.1.63 and map any of the folders as drives.    The problem is it will not show up under the Network

Example

On Desktop

NETWORK

DUNCAN-HPDM4

DUNCS-PC

LINKSTATIONDUO

READYSHARE

On my laptop

NETWORK

DUNCAN-HPDM4

DUNCS-PC

and no amount of encouragement will make LINKSTATIONDUO show up there.    The reason this is important is the software I am using to back up my laptop expects to see something in/on the network.     It's definately there, can get on it, but Network just wont show it....     Any thoughts/ideas?

Both Desktop and PC run Norton360, but I even shut this down on the laptop to see if it was the cause and it wasnt.

tonygze

• Calf
Re: Cant see LinkStationDuo in Network
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »

hey dude

have you got UPnP enabled on the laptop?

universal plug and play that is...

google it if you dont know what I am talking about

ds_robb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply, yes UPNP is enabled and I can see/connect other devices in the network.    The LinkStation is running 1.43 firmware and if I use the supplied NASNavigator software, I can see it, I can create a drive and I can even map the drive, but it just wont appear in the network tab.

tonygze

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »

can you have a look at your ARP table in cmd?

open up cmd and type arp -a

if your LSD's mac address isnt listed, try adding a static entry and see if that makes any difference to your network listing. :)

ds_robb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:55:34 AM »

Tony

Thanks for the reply.  I did as you suggested and I can see the IP address listed in the ARP table.   The only thing different there is whilst I have given it a static IP address, the table lists it as dynamic

192.168.1.63   4c-e6-76-2e-f4-13   dynamic

Still nothing showing in network albeit I can access the drives I'd already mapped.     It will show under network if I use the NASNAvigator software but anything else such as view my network, Windows Explorer or the EMC Retrospect I am trying to use doesnt see it in the network at all.

ds_robb

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:56:57 AM »
Bit of progress because it is now showing up under Network. I think what it was related to my Netgear Router. I allowed the Linkstation to obtain an IP address automatically via DCHP and then on my router I disabled Port Scan and DoS protection as well as disabling SIP ALG under NAT filtering.

This seems to have done the trick mind you, still not sure exactly why, but at least I can back up now :-)

tonygze

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:31:34 AM »

Good to hear!

Darn firewalls :P