Author Topic: Flash error E04 more than 30 seconds after trying to boot  (Read 3574 times)

JohnG

• Calf
Flash error E04 more than 30 seconds after trying to boot
« on: July 10, 2009, 08:43:23 AM »

Model Number:  HS-DHTGL/R5

Firmware:  1.10

My computer: WindowsXP

History:

Terastation lost power abruptly. When I rebooted, I got the flash error E04  more than 30 seconds after trying to boot. After reading some posts, I tried rebooting without drive 1, it came up fine and all the data appears to be there, so I powered down and put drive 1 back in, and now get the flash error. So, I took it back out and it rebooted fine. I'm in the process of backing everything up now.

After reading all the support material, I feel I know enough to be dangerous.

Questions:

1. Should I put a blank disk in drive 1 (I have 1) and if so, what should I do to salvage the current drive 1?
  2. Should I boot in EM mode? I just read about the button inside the LCD panel.
  3. When it experiences a problem like this, does it not go to EM mode automatically?
  4. Should I flash the firmware with only 3 drives in the machine? If so, do I need to be in EM mode to do that, or just run the downloaded software from my computer while the Terastation is running normally?  If I do flash the firmware, then replace with the old drive 1, do I need to do anything else?
  5. Are there other things I should consider?

Thank you.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Flash error E04 more than 30 seconds after trying to boot
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »

If your in warranty, contact local support and the drive replaced

1. Yes, once its in the unit, you want to go into the web GUI> Disk Management> RAID Settings (or Configuration)> Click RAID Array 1> Check on Disk1 and select Restructure (not Rebuild) RAID Array.

2. Only if it is not booting normally

3. Usually it will, sometimes it wont automatically depending on where its getting stuck. Since Drive1 failed, it probably doesn't boot far enough to know to boot into EM mode.

4.Only if "1" doesnt work

5. Referring to "1", the Restructure will take about 5 minutes, but then it will go through a RAID Scan which will take 8-16 hours to complete, in which will not be able to access the unit. But once it is done you will be good to go!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Flash error E04 more than 30 seconds after trying to boot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:57:54 PM »

I would try booting it into EM mode and force flashing the firmware first.  If that doesn't work I would try to boot the unit with each drive individually removed (sounds like you may have already done this step) and replace the bad HDD using Kevin's directions.

We find that the E04 is either "cannot load kernal" or a bad HDD.  If the kernal is the problem you may just need to replace it by flashing the firmware.