Author Topic: Shares appear/can create, but no access after a reboot  (Read 1599 times)

thomasbhardy

• Calf
Shares appear/can create, but no access after a reboot
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »

Afternoon everyone!

So here's the scenario:

I recently moved my terrastation HS-DH2.0TGL/R5 from rack A to rack B.  It was handled as gently as a baby, no jostling, no trauma, properly powered off, etc. etc. etc.

Booting the device ends with 5 beeps and a red error light on the unit.

Now that it's back up, I can find the shares in my Windows Explorer.  I see them listed.  But I cannot access any of them. 

I can add new shares on the device and they appear to systems on the network but they are no accessibleNo changes were made to the system from which i'm accessing them. (note that i do not use any user IDs in any of my share setups, so that's not an issue)

The default "info" directlory is there and accessible as per usual.  the problem is my shares that I have set up.

Attempting to access results in:

Windows cannot access \\mydevicename\mysharename

Chech the spelling of the name.  Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network...

When I load the NAS navigator, it finds teh unit but shows the HDD(RAID5) with a red bar stating "unformatted"

When I look through the various screens on teh web interface I'm not seeing any red flags or obvious issues being displayed.

Any help would be aprpeciated.  At this point we cannot access the files on the device.

thomasbhardy

• Calf
Re: Shares appear/can create, but no access after a reboot
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:38:16 AM »

Any suggestions at all?

I have a ton of data on this box tthat is now inaccessible

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

I would try booting the unit into EM mode by holding the reset button while powering it on. If that does not work then I would try removing one drive at a time until you can access the data. Example:  Remove drive one, boot the unit up and see if you can access your data. If you cannot, put the drive back and reboot with disk 2 removed. Continue with all the drives and see if you can access the data.

thomasbhardy

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:03:11 AM »

If the problem was a drive going bad, wouldn't the drive status indicators give me some...  indication of that?

If I create a new share, it appears to systems on the network, but they cannot use files on the new share.  Are these symptoms indicative of a bad drive? 

I ask because I'm trying to understand.  I'm happy to take whatever steps will help, but I do like to know the "why" part too ;)

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »

Normally it wuld yes. You could also try flashing the firmware and resetting the unit through the web interface.

thomasbhardy

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »

FYI Update

I removed the drives one at a time and rebooted and then re-inserted them.

The shares still behave the same way:

the default share that came with the unit is accessible.  All shares created by me can be seen as directoreis but cannot be accessed from any system on the network.  new shares can be seen but not accesseed.

I'd love to get some help with this as I have over 1TB of data on this drive that I need to get back.

When you refer to resetting the unit, that would dispose of my shares would it not and result in a loss of data?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »

No it would not remove the shares. If it does then you have a larger problem and the only way to fix it would be to get another unit of the same model and put the drives in there or seeking data recovery. Have you tried reflashing the firmware on this unit?