Author Topic: Is It Really True??  (Read 4585 times)

Evanwi

• Calf
Is It Really True??
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »
I have a two year old LS-QV12TL that I can't get back to factory RAID 5.

Buffalo tech support said:

1.  Buffalo has no service locations
2.  Tech Support won't help me even if I wanted to pay.

Does Buffalo really sell products that they will not service after it's out of the one-year warranty??

Evan
Indianapolis

jrg1york

• Calf
Re: Is It Really True??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:33:58 AM »
Doesn't surprise me at all, sadly  :(  ...

scottdharvey

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
Nor me.  See my recent reply about "...trying to replace BOTH drives..." I just bought a QNAP TS-251 and it is awesome.  I hated throwing away something from Buffalo that I spent good money on, but my time is just more valuable than that.  I'd look into that or Synology and put your Buffalo in the trash.

I don't want to be a complete d*ck and try to actively promote other products on Buffalo's forum, so I'll stop now.  But after all the time and energy wasted on Buffalo, thought I'd mention it - it won't get any better even after you spend tons of time...

Scott

Evanwi

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
Much thanks for the tip on Synology...I really didn't know where to look after I throw away a seemingly perfectly good 12T RAID system.

jrregan

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »
Nor me.  See my recent reply about "...trying to replace BOTH drives..." I just bought a QNAP TS-251 and it is awesome.  I hated throwing away something from Buffalo that I spent good money on, but my time is just more valuable than that.  I'd look into that or Synology and put your Buffalo in the trash.

I don't want to be a complete d*ck and try to actively promote other products on Buffalo's forum, so I'll stop now.  But after all the time and energy wasted on Buffalo, thought I'd mention it - it won't get any better even after you spend tons of time...

Scott

Similiar situation with my 12T LS-QVL/R5, it was 2 1/2 months out of warrenty (1 year 2+ months) and the power supply died. Only 2 of the 4 harddrives getting power. Called in and no dice. That was the 2nd NAS I bought. $1.1k down the drain. I then got a 5800D the next year and unfortunately had had 3 major problems with it. Sad, but I just can't afford that kind of reliability issue anymore.

P.S. There are THREE captcha's I have to answer to post to this thread. Yeah, serious, THREE.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
In what way are you trying to get it back to RAID 5?

Is the OS totally lost? If you wiped all the drives, that complicates things considerably.

If you have a bootable unit, it should be fairly simple.

jrregan : The power supply on LS-QV is an external brick, is that what has failed? Also, TS5800 has a 3 year warranty with phone support included, and should be 100% supported by the support team.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

jrregan

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
jrregan : The power supply on LS-QV is an external brick, is that what has failed? Also, TS5800 has a 3 year warranty with phone support included, and should be 100% supported by the support team.

No, the brick is good. So it must be the motherboard then. Or what ever distributes the power to the hard drives. Replaced brick w/ another know good workings one and still only 2/4 hd's powered up.

On the 5800D, yes got the replace platter and the unit's recovered to normal operations. About 24 hrs to rebuild the array, but all is find now. Still now thrilled with the level of support though. The RMA  website is broken, and apparently they know it. Found this out after I had to switch from email support to phone support. 4 unanswered email support (and pop) emails and no statements of a 'known bad rma tracking website' publicized is not good support methology. And of course, the obligatory, "you didn't get the email saying your rma and proof of purchase was accepted and you can send the bad hard drive back to us?" retort during the phone support call. Ah, no, otherwise why would I be calling to get the status?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:04:40 AM by jrregan »

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »
we recently completely replaced the RMA website, it really did need an overhaul. It was under development for many moons. While I hope you don't have more hardware failures, if you do, you should notice quite a difference.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**