Author Topic: Drivestation Flexnet network issue Linux ext2 filesystem with ethernet?  (Read 6007 times)

mann

• Calf

I have a Buffalo FlexNet hd-ce640lu2-us which I'm hoping can be formatted with linux ext2 or ext3 while retaining the ethernet functionality additionally I'm hoping it can be updated via the rsync file-replication daemon from a remote linux machine.

I keep seeing this statement in the forums,  

"The unit has to stay fat32 to keep both functions, the operating system on the unit is Linux and can not run in NTFS."

however, I'm wondering if since OS Seems to be linux based, can I format the partition EXT2 or 3 and still retain  the network access feature?

I'm also wondering if rsync is (or can be installed) on the drivestation?

I have already formatted the device via usb as ext3 but am no longer able to access the http interface, however, that is potentually due to my forgetting to copy the smb configuration file and Share folder back to the device after formatting.  If the the smb dot-configuration file one-level above the Share folder is critical is there some way I can get a new file?

From reading the forums it looks like I should be able to access the http interface if I reformat the device to FAT32 (vfat?) if there is no ext2 based solution.

Thank you 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Drivestation Flexnet network issue Linux ext2 filesystem with ethernet?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
At this time it is a Fat32 solution.  If you format it back to fat then run the firmware update it will install operating system to enable the NAS feature.  Rsync is built into the NAS portion of the drive however can not be installed on a standard drive station.

Anthony

• Calf

I had the same question, my goal here is to be able to use my Flexnet 500g (HD-CE500LU2) from my linux computers without the FAT32 compatibility problems (such as timestamp and access rights)

So, here is the real easy question. Can we format the drive using ext2/ext3 and still get the Samba shares working ?

I mean, I don't want to use this drive as a USB drive but I may end up doing that as the FAT32 limitation is a real pain for me (all my network is running under linux and I don't want to be stuck with the old fat32...)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
As Paul stated the unit will only have the NAS feature when it is formatted to Fat 32.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

Anthony

• Calf
   Is there any chance to see that feature in a new firmware release ? :)

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
I can forward up a feature request for you but no promises on this one.

Anthony

• Calf

Yeah, a feature request would be great :)

I think I wouldn't be the only one loving this feature.

Thanks

ex-expat

• Calf

PCPiranha wrote:
I can forward up a feature request for you but no promises on this one.

Hi, will you please send a feature request for me too?  (I'm hoping that if enough customers ask, this will get bumped up in priority.)  I have an HD-CE1.0TLU2 and I too am running GNU/Linux on all my systems.  I much prefer the increased reliability of the ext3 journaling filesystem over fat32.  It would also resolve FAT32 compatibility issues with file ownership, and significantly reduce fragmentation issues.  Lastly, many GNU/Linux distributions offer DVD ISO's, which of course exceed FAT32's 4GB file size limitation.  So I'd be thrilled to see this happen.

Thanks so much!

Message Edited by ex-expat on 07-23-2009 12:21 AM
Message Edited by ex-expat on 07-23-2009 12:25 AM

rkaiser

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »

Paul wrote:
At this time it is a Fat32 solution.  If you format it back to fat then run the firmware update it will install operating system to enable the NAS feature.  Rsync is built into the NAS portion of the drive however can not be installed on a standard drive station.

I would like to connect via Rsync to my 1TB DriveStation FlexNet (in NAS mode of course).  However, I don't see any reference to this feature in the user guide documentation.  Is the rsync daemon running by default?  If not how do I enable it?

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »
   Feature requests are collected in the Feature wishlist posts by drmemory. Those are the posts where the requests are tallied to see which requests have the most support by customers. The mods can send up requests - but they are treated as single requests.  drmemory collects the requests at the end of each month, from the wishlist posts. These posts are reviewed by the Buffalo US engineers and marketing, then sent to Buffalo Japan.

Zammin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »

Me too... I also want other linux filesystem can be read... Pain for me to use fat 32, give us xfs, ext4 or other newer filesystem... please

ex-expat

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »

Memoryman wrote:
Feature requests are collected in the Feature wishlist posts by drmemory. Those are the posts where the requests are tallied to see which requests have the most support by customers. The mods can send up requests - but they are treated as single requests.  drmemory collects the requests at the end of each month, from the wishlist posts. These posts are reviewed by the Buffalo US engineers and marketing, then sent to Buffalo Japan.

Thank you for your reply.

How do we go about setting this issue up on the feature wishlist you mentioned?  Do we need to start a new thread with a title starting with "Wishlist," or can this thread be renamed since requests already exist here?  I'd like to make this feature request known as soon as possible.  I have seen others request this on threads with related subjects and I suspect the demand for it is higher than anticipated.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 01:46:36 PM »

Feature requests for Drivestation products are here:  Drivestation

for Terastations: Terastation

for Linkstations:  Linkstations

There are two separate wishlists for LS-CHL and LS-XHL, and one for wireless.

I don't search all over the forums to collect feature requests - I go to the threads above so I don't accidentally duplicate and get the number of votes per feature wrong

Be sure to list the Buffalo part number and revision of FW (some products have multiple versions and we can tell them apart by the FW rev).   Also, state your location - some products are different in different  parts of the world.

ex-expat

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »

drmemory wrote:

Feature requests for Drivestation products are here:  Drivestation

<snip>

I don't search all over the forums to collect feature requests - I go to the threads above so I don't accidentally duplicate and get the number of votes per feature wrong

Be sure to list the Buffalo part number and revision of FW (some products have multiple versions and we can tell them apart by the FW rev).   Also, state your location - some products are different in different  parts of the world.

Done!  I have posted my request (with the requested specs) to the thread you specified.  Thank you very much.  :smileyhappy: