Author Topic: Need help setting up a bridge to a Blu-Ray player  (Read 3150 times)

oklared

• Calf
Need help setting up a bridge to a Blu-Ray player
« on: January 10, 2009, 04:01:59 PM »

First off, please be gentle.  I'm dumber than a sack of rocks when it come to working with wireless or wired networks for that matter.

I have 2 Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Air Station routers.  I have somehow successfully managed to get one of them properly set up and linked to my TiVo HD DVR so that I may stream movies from Netflix.  Works great I might add.

I am trying to set up the second router with my Panasonic BD55 Blu-Ray player.  This unit has a Ethernet jack on the back, not a USB port.  The TiVo does have a USB port and I've connected a high speed adapter into it.  I am trying to utilize the 2nd Buffalo as a bridge so that the Blu-Ray player can connect to the Internet to access the BD Live features on the discs and download any firmware updates from Panasonic for the player.

First dumb question: does the Blu-Ray plug into the WAN port or one of the four LAN ports on the back of the router?

Second dumb question: for sure the slide switch on the bottom of the unit gets set to Bridge and not to Auto?

Now, assuming I've connected everything properly, will the AOSS feature now work to automatically make everything all warm and fuzzy?

Or am I going to have to plug the second router into my PC to set all the addresses for the Blu-Ray?

Speaking of the AOSS, the manual says to press and hold the AOSS button until the LED beside the button starts flashing.  Easy enough and the manual says I have two minutes to press the same button on the client unit.  Is that a momentary press or a press-and-hold as was done on the first unit?  Manual doesn't say.

I've tried various combinations of the above with no results so far.  Can someone out there please further my education?

Thanks in advance.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Need help setting up a bridge to a Blu-Ray player
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »

I would recommend using WDS to connect the two routers together wirelessly.

Questions:

1st- It will go in one of the LAN ports

2nd- If you use WDS then it wouldn't matter where the switch is, would recommend setting it to Auto to save you headache in the future and let the firmware do the bridging. 

3rd- Theoretically yes, but if you are going to setup WDS I would recommend using WEP encryption (it doesn't support WPA). If you go with AOSS I believe the best thing to do on that second unit would be to hold the button for about 3-5 seconds.