Author Topic: VPN Problem with WBMR-G300N Wireless  (Read 3453 times)

inglenook

• Calf
VPN Problem with WBMR-G300N Wireless
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »

I have recently bought and installed a WBMR-G300N wireless router.  Most things work well - the ADSL connection works fine, the wired LAN works and the wireless LAN also works.  Connecting with most addresses and applications works.

However, connecting from my laptop to my company's network using a VPN does not work over the wireless LAN. It DOES work over the wired LAN through the same router.  The VPN is an IPSec based VPN.  The VPN software gives this error message when trying to connect via the wireless LAN:

"No response from VPN endpoint during authentication. This can occur if IP Protocol 50(IPSec ESP) or UDP protocol 4500 is blocked by a firewall or IPSec passthrough is not enabled on your home router"

I have changed the configuration of the router in most ways possible including placing my laptop into the DMZ and also port forwarding all ports between 50 and 4500 to my laptop.  I have also changed the MTU value in steps down from 1500 down to 700. Nothing fixes the problem.

It is as if the ports are being blocked by the wireless software in the router (since the wired LAN works just fine) - but there are no settings for ports or IPSec relating specifically to the wireless.

Any ideas as to what is going on here and how I can fix things?

Yours,  frustrated, Mike.

Michael

• Calf
Re: VPN Problem with WBMR-G300N Wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »
   I have seen issues with certain VPN setups, where it will not pass the token to a wireless system on the other side of the router. I would confirm with your IT dept. to make sure they don't reject wireless client authentication.