Author Topic: WZR2-G300N Vs WM6 phone connection problem  (Read 5671 times)

dominic

• Calf
WZR2-G300N Vs WM6 phone connection problem
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:03 AM »

Hi,  no sure if anyone experiences the same problem which I am suffering now.  I have a WZR2-G300N.  Although it works okay with my Macbook as well as IBM Thinkpad X41, I have trouble having my Dopod (now HTC) D810 connecting to this router.  The router is set to make use of WPA-PSK (TKIP and AES both tried), SID being set as broadcasted.  My D810 is able to see the SID broadcasted by the router.  But when attempting to connect the phone to the router, it attempts for a while and then back to 'Available' instead of 'connected' (ie. it says that the network is available, but not connected).  The phone is running Windows Mobile 6.

I wonder if there are any hints to make the connection works.  I haven't tried using WEP, as I DO NOT want to lower the security by setting the encryption mode to WEP.  Thanks.

Message Edited by dominic on 01-02-2009 01:43 AM
Message Edited by dominic on 01-02-2009 01:45 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: WZR2-G300N Vs WM6 phone connection problem
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:56:42 AM »
I would drop the network to WEP or open (no encryption) to see if the phone can connect.  This way you will know if that is the issue or not. 
Message Edited by Paul on 01-02-2009 10:57 AM

barneybj

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:52:29 PM »

Hi,

I'm exactly encounter the problem too. I tried all type of encryption or disbale encryption. The WM6 still can't connect the wireless and become available too. I tried to search most of web link but no mention it even Buffalo. There is very disappoint to me. If anyone can know it, please help

--SS 

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »

You may want to check to see if there are any firmware updates available for the phone.  Windows Mobile shouldn't have any problems connecting to an 802.11 based network, regardless of whether it's b,g or n.

The fact that all of your other wireless devices remain asociated tells me that the router itself is working OK.

Channel settings may help as well, as some smartphones don't have very good wifi reception compared to something like a laptop or desktop PC. 

dominic

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »

Thanks.  In fact...

1.  There are no updated firmware for my phone.  Mine is using the latest already.

2.  When I attempted the connection, I was sitting beside the router.

3.  I tried my phone against my office wireless router (which is Cisco based), 

WPA-TKIP, it works.

4.  I do not agree that "other devices remaining associated means that the router

itself is working ok".  I recall the keyword "incompatibility".

Actually, I am not kind of stupid and lazy person who only cares to raise the questions here without doing some prior survey.  I did some google search, and found that there are some other WZR2-G300N users complaining for the same problem, but no solutions are suggested yet.  This is the reason why I attempt to raise the question here.

To Paul:  I haven't tried WEP or no Encryption yet.  The router is constantly being used by my family, and I will look for a time so that I can attempt your suggestion. Of course, I would be pretty disappointed if only WEP or no encryption work...  :( 

Message Edited by dominic on 01-05-2009 05:37 PM
Message Edited by dominic on 01-05-2009 06:37 PM

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »

I had this problem before and tried both steps.

1.Delete away previous wireless network profiles on the windows mobile phone.

2. Change wireless channel on the router.

Either way, both worked on my HTC touch pro. 

dominic

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »

Thanks.  This sounds interesting.  In fact, I tried removing all previous wireless network profiles (do you mean just 'removing' them from the 'wifi' setting, but not peeping into the registry entries to remove them all?).

I haven't tried chaning the channels.  But I think that it is really worth trying.  By the way, do you mind letting me know which 'channels' work?  (provided that I do not know where you are, I am unable to snoop into your network :-))  Thanks a lot!

Message Edited by dominic on 01-15-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by dominic on 01-15-2009 08:00 PM